Can melanoma be found after the mole was removed w/ laser??

Did you just receive a melanoma diagnosis? This is the perfect moderated forum to obtain information about pathology as well as get your most important questions answered.

Can melanoma be found after the mole was removed w/ laser??

Postby odanobunaga » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:56 am

Hello everybody,
To begin with, I'm a pale person with a lot of moles, but growing up I never even heard melanoma or any of its dangers even being mentioned, which lead to some stupid decisions.

To cut long story short, before I even properly read up on melanoma, I had two of my moles removed. First one I removed by myself as a teenager after reading up on mole removal on the internet and the second one was a raised mole that I had recently gotten removed with a laser at a beauty clinic.
Before removing this mole the dermathologist looked at it with the dermatoscope and agreed to proceeding, but she didn't give me much information on the mole. Does it mean, that the mole was most definitely safe to remove?

After I got it removed I read on the internet that such moles shouldn't be removed with laser for it's impossible to do biopsy later. My question is, can melanoma still be detected even after the mole was removed in such way? I've lately been feeling really hypochondriac and I'm freaking out really badly. Does anybody have similar experience or thoughts to share?
Thank you.
odanobunaga

Re: Can melanoma be found after the mole was removed w/ lase

Postby Catherine Poole » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:38 am

I would imagine the laser would destroy the mole in such a way that pathology would be hard to conduct.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation
Catherine Poole

Postby KoriRod » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:26 pm

Did you ask your doctor about this? I am sure they would know.

It seems like from your story that you made them aware, and there were no issues. But if that is not the case, you should talk to whoever removed the mole.

Very interesting predicament. If you do find out, I would love to know the verdict.

Best of luck.
KoriRod

Postby Catherine Poole » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:12 am

Where are you going for treatment? Maybe a excisional biopsy of the area would be prudent?
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation
Catherine Poole

Return to Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed - Stages I & II