Finding the best care for my brother

This forum was created for those with an incredibly hard task: taking care of someone they love who is ill.

Finding the best care for my brother

Postby rxorcist » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:32 pm

My brother has been diagnosed with Stage 3 Melanoma BRAF neg resected on his upper arm, one lymph node removed, most recent scan shows one lymph node that is cancerous. He had 3 treatments of Yervoy and scans showed no improvement, so he was changed to Keytruda and after 3 treatments had endocrine reaction which is currently under control with prednisone and levothyroxine. He just had his 4th Keytruda infusion after a 5 week period with no treatment due to the endocrine reaction and his physician would like to give him an experimental protein injection directly into the lesions which have reappeared on his upper arm as well as into the sentinel lymph node that shows up on scans with the theory that this injection will help the keytruda to work on the cancer. My brother lives in Denver and is receiving treatment at Anschutz cancer center. I live in Houston near MD Anderson and am feeling like it is time to check into other treatment options. How do I help him make an informed choice about getting a second opinion at this stage?
rxorcist

Re: Finding the best care for my brother

Postby Catherine Poole » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:12 pm

It sounds like your brother is getting good treatment, and Rene Gonzales at that facility is quite expert. I think you should hang in there, but you can always get another opinion. MDA is not necessarily superior however.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation
Catherine Poole

Re: Finding the best care for my brother

Postby ChristineSteinberg » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:00 am

Hope your brother is fine now and his treatment must be gone well. I would like to wish him with better health and good luck for his future. :)
ChristineSteinberg

Return to For Caregivers Only