Interesting about vitamin D

This moderated forum is to support the needs of patients with stage I & II melanoma, as well as answer questions about treatment options and what to expect.

Interesting about vitamin D

Postby Catherine Poole » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:04 am

Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation
Catherine Poole

Re: Interesting about vitamin D

Postby hrisi930 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:40 pm

Hi,

This is really interesting and it sounds like vitamin D is really important. I actually tested my vitamin D level in the summer and it was really low so my GP recommended me to start taking it as a supplement. So, I was taking the vitamin for two months and then I started having killer headaches and stomachaches do I stopped taking it. I read that it is possible to start having these reactions after you take it for a prolonged period. I wonder has this happened to anyone? Do you know if I could do something to prevent these reactions?

Thank you in advance.

Best,

Hristiana
hrisi930

Postby Harry128 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:48 pm

I've been taking high doses of vitamin D and folic acid for other problems I don't have melanoma it's my wife that does at first I thought it was the folic acid causing my very upset painful tummy but it was the vitamin D doing it I got some medication to help with the tummy issues but in the end I stopped taking them but I've started getting very tired again and pain in joints again so will re start them.
I had almost zero vitamin D so had to take high doses if I was you I would report it to your doctor
Harry128

Postby Catherine Poole » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:02 am

Here's a more recent article about vitamin D: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/10/heal ... .html?_r=0
Catherine Poole

Postby jennunicorn » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:46 am

That's very interesting. I don't think I'll stop believing in vitamin D just yet. I had my levels tested a while ago, they were extremely low. Been on supplements of D3, just got retested yesterday and I am right smack in the middle of the "normal range". Since taking the supplement I've had a lot more energy.. whether the D3 is really helping my energy, who knows. I was taking 6000iU a day for 50 days and now that my levels are normal I am on 1000iU to maintain them. Never had stomach upset or any issues while taking it. I always take it with a meal.
jennunicorn

Postby TreeFrog » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:09 pm

Hi All,

One thing to keep in mind with all supplements and medications is that often people react badly to the carriers and fillers rather than to the supplement/med itself. If you seem to have issues with vitamin D (or any other supplement/med), try a different formulation - softgels vs. tablets for instance.

~Wendy
TreeFrog

Postby Catherine Poole » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:43 am

Good thought Wendy. Also, you can try to supplement your diet with salmon and D-fortified foods. It is difficult to get a lot but I love salmon. Also, you should have 20 minutes of sun (without sunscreen on) a day. So bask in the sun a little, it isn't the enemy afterall, just too much is the problem.
Catherine Poole

Return to Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II