Key Opinion Leader's Take on IPI/PD1 combo at AACR

This moderated forum is to support the needs of patients with stage IV melanoma, as well as to answer questions about treatment options and what to expect.

Key Opinion Leader's Take on IPI/PD1 combo at AACR

Postby Catherine Poole » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:30 am

(American Association of Cancer Research meeting)
The following is the opinion of many of the top melanoma researchers:
“The results confirmed that the patients who either received IPI or nivo alone, those who had received nivo had a better chance of being alive after 2 years. However, when we look at the combination arm we are talking about a difference of 59% versus 45%, only 14%. But it is difference that is real.”
(Source: Medical Oncologist, MSKCC, NY, U.S.)
• “What we want to know, is did the patients who got the combination do better than those who received nivo monotherapy. Looking at the results, 64% of patients who had received nivo/IPI were alive after 2 years. This is compared to 59% who had received nivo monotherapy. This is just a 5% difference. We cannot be certain that this small percentage difference is real. I think we need more time to study these 2 groups.”
(Source: Medical Oncologist, Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, Washington, U.S.)
• “If I was asked to interpret these findings into the clinic, I would say that for most patients, nivo alone is just as good as nivo/IPI and we would save on the toxicity issues. We still need to identify those patients who we know will benefit from the combination.”
(Source: Medical Oncologist, UCLA Medical Center, U.S.)
• “So, we see that the nivo mono arm has a very similar OS to the combination and is more tolerable. I am still unsure if nivo followed by IPI is preferable over the combination.”
(Source: Medical Oncologist, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, U.S)
• “This result has the potential to turn immunotherapy on its head. We’re still getting our heads around the data that was presented earlier today. But it is still not clear if a biomarker means you know who to give the treatment to or not. I think the majority of folks will do this based on today – give 1L monotherapy first and then add IPI if they don’t get the results they wanted. Crossover of the trial means that was the sort of the data we are looking at, sequencing. Toxicity can be dialled down if you lower the dose of IPI. The O64 trial was looking at the sequencing of these treatments.”
(Source: Medical Oncologist, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, U.S.)

Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation
Catherine Poole

Re: Key Opinion Leader's Take on IPI/PD1 combo at AACR

Postby TreeFrog » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:18 pm

Interesting - thank you for posting!
~Wendy
TreeFrog

Re: Key Opinion Leader's Take on IPI/PD1 combo at AACR

Postby Catherine Poole » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:01 am

I still wonder if just going with PD1 is the best approach. The extreme toxicity of IPI combined with PD1 can't bode well for patients.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation
Catherine Poole

Return to Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV