Lymph Nodes

Did you just receive a melanoma diagnosis? This is the perfect moderated forum to obtain information about pathology as well as get your most important questions answered.

Lymph Nodes

Postby CarolD » Sun May 14, 2017 3:25 pm

Shave biopsy 5/9 by dermatoligist. Office called 5/12 to say Melanoma Stage 2, scheduled for WLE 5/16 by same dermatologist. Have not seen pathology report. Should I be having my sentinel lymph nodes checked prior to this? Do I need an oncologist at this point?
Considering cancelling WLE until I get Lymph nodes checked. Any opinions appreciated.
CarolD

Re: Lymph Nodes

Postby Jason64 » Sun May 14, 2017 10:07 pm

If it is stage 2, then yes you should have sentinel node biopsy as well. Makes me wonder if it is Clark's level 2, in that case probably not. I say probably because the depth of the lesion measured by Clark's level can vary a lot. You need to get the thickness of the lesion. Anything over .75 mm is a yes to SNB.
Jason64

Re: Lymph Nodes

Postby Catherine Poole » Tue May 16, 2017 1:00 pm

Clarks level is no longer used for prognostic indicator. Mitotic factor and Breslow depth are the most important factors. If the depth is over .76 a Sentinel Node Biopsy would be suggested (see more about here: http://melanomainternational.org/melano ... Rs8KusrKM8. You should see a melanoma expert if you can.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation
Catherine Poole

Return to Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed - Stages I & II