Pathology Report-LENTIGO Atypia

Did you just receive a melanoma diagnosis? This is the perfect moderated forum to obtain information about pathology as well as get your most important questions answered.

Pathology Report-LENTIGO Atypia

Postby 1Cbras » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:31 pm

So, I received my pathology report today. (It was reviewed by two pathologist hence a two week wait. They determined a lesion on the sole of my foot to be lentigo atypia. The doctor said since there are clean margins no follow up is required. What is LENTIGO Atypia?
1Cbras

Re: Pathology Report-LENTIGO Atypia

Postby 1Cbras » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:00 pm

Here is the report

DIAGNOSIS
LEFT FOOT BIOPSY:
LENTIGO WITH ATYPIA, COMPLETELY EXCISED

COMMENTS: MULTIPLE LEVELS HAVE BEEN OBTAINED. THIS CASE HAS ALSO BEEN REVIEWED BY 2 DERMATOPATHOLOGISTS.

------------------------------------------------------------
Surgical Site: Other(specify below); left foot plantar aspect
Operative Procedure: Other(specify below); excision
Clinical Information: skin lesion
------------------------------------------------------------
GROSS EXAMINATION
the specimen is received in 10% neutral buffered formalin labeled "left foot" and consists of one piece of tan-gray ellipse of skin with a suture marking at the 12:00 margin. the specimen measures 2.2 x 1.3 x 0.5 cm. The specimen has a light brown flat lesion in the center measuring 0.5 x 0.4 cm. The 3:00 margin is inked blue. the 9:00 margin is inked yellow. the specimen is serially sectioned from the 12:00 margin to the 6:00 margin. the specimen is entirely submitted in cassettes 1A through 1H. PD

Summary of sections:
1A= 2 tips (12:00 margin)
1B thorugh 1G= 1 piece each (center sections)
1H= 2 tips (6:00 margin)

Electronically Signed 11/28/2017 1:16 PM
Geraldine Mercer,MD
Pathologist

CPT Codes: 88305

RESULT NOTE Surg02: Op Procedure? : Other(specify below) excision
Surg04: Clinical information? : skin lesion
1Cbras

Postby Catherine Poole » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:16 am

What did your doctor explain about it? Did he/she show you the path reports from the dermatopathologists? Lentigo alone can be a precurser to Lentigo Maligna Melanoma. So this is a very low risk lesion. But I would still like to see what the dermatopathologists state in their review. Actually wondering why they removed this because these spots (aka age spots) are benign. I wouldn't worry about it. But do let us know what the other opinions said.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation
Catherine Poole

Postby 1Cbras » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:20 pm

They really thought it should be removed based upon the variable color and the fact that it was on my foot. Is Lentigo Maligna Melanoma also low risk?

I have two other spots on my foot, though not as dark as the one they removed, that look weird and am now concerned whether I should have them removed?

When I spoke with the physician assistant on Wednesday, I clarified whether atypia meant appearance or cells. She said it meant there where atypical cells but since the margins were clear no further treatment.

I'll clarify your questions at my next appointment. Thanks.
1Cbras

Postby Catherine Poole » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:22 am

Lentigo Maligna Melanoma is a very slow growing melanoma. Usually caused by sun exposure and on the face. It is usually confined to outside layers of skin so low risk. Please get copies of the experts who viewed the pathology..
Catherine Poole

Postby 1Cbras » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:25 pm

The lesion was actually on the sole of my foot. I think they were concerned that put me at risk for acral lentingious melanoma. I thought that was much more aggressive. That is why I'm concerned about two other spots on the sole of my foot. (I have freckled feet that I considered to be age spots).
1Cbras

Postby 1Cbras » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:26 pm

I have alot of spots on the sole of my feet.
1Cbras

Postby Catherine Poole » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:34 am

That is why an expert dermatopathologist is needed. Yes, you are correct that acral is usually the form of melanoma found on the sole of the foot. Where are you going for treatment? I think another opinion is a good idea.
Catherine Poole

Return to Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed - Stages I & II