Pelvic lymph node lit up

This moderated forum is to support the needs of patients with stage III melanoma, as well as to answer questions about treatment options and what to expect.

Pelvic lymph node lit up

Postby Tracyyy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:36 pm

Hi all,
My mum had positive lymph nodes in groin and had them removed on 12/12/2017. 6 of them were removed and 3 were positive for melanoma. She recovered from surgery and had PET/CT scan yesterday in order to plan further treatment. Today we got the results and one pelvic node lit up. It had quite high SUV uptake like 22. Trying to be positive and good thing is she is still stage 3 C. Before PET scan we were had a plan to go with local radiation and Nivo adjuvant but this node messed up our plans and I am getting overwhelmed. Tommorow we are going to see what our onc will suggest. I was hoping so much that the scan would be clear. Now I am trying to put myself together and be strong for my mum and help her go ahead with decisions. Thank you all for being there! Needed to share my feelings...
Tracyyy

Re: Pelvic lymph node lit up

Postby Catherine Poole » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:27 am

I would definitely go ahead with the PD1 (Nivo) adjuvant. I do trust CT scans more than PET which can have false positives. I am sure this can be scary for all of you and the best you can do is take it one step at a time, don't look back or forward, just the current moment. The spread seems very localized so again know that the nodes are designed to capture anything foreign in our bodies and are doing their job. You will be in our thoughts.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation
Catherine Poole

Postby bcbcbc55 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:36 pm

Best Of luck for you and you mom. There are Pet\ct scans all in one machine now

Robert Cathey Stage 3B
bcbcbc55

Postby Tracyyy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:09 am

Thank you both, we really should take one step at a time. On Monday mum is having an ultrasound only of the pelvic area in order to see the exact location of the node and then plan surgery to remove it ASAP. She had the PET/CT combo after groin dissection on 12/12/2017. We were wondering if this node could have popped up in the 2 month period after the groin dissection or maybe it was there before that but the ultrasound did not catch it as it was hidden... P. S. Before groin dissection she had only ultrasound, then the PET/CT
Tracyyy

Postby Catherine Poole » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:19 pm

I think the CAT scan is going to be a better indicator than the ultrasound would be.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation
Catherine Poole

Return to Melanoma: Stage III