Pregnancy After Melanoma

This moderated forum is to support the needs of patients with stage I & II melanoma, as well as answer questions about treatment options and what to expect.

Pregnancy After Melanoma

Postby WendyI37 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:07 am

Hi there, I was dx with Stage 1a melanoma. It was .30mm, no mitosis, no ulceration, not near any vessels or lymphatic areas etc... My actual biopsy itself had completely clear margins, and then my WLE came back clear as well. I go to a derm every 6 months now with no further issues since diagnosis. My diagnosis was Dec.6th, 2013. Well, at the time of diagnosis I was never considering having another child so I had an IUD put in and thought nothing more of it. Here it is a little over 4 years later and I'm newly married with crazy baby fever right now. I was never told to wait or to not have a child, but here I am petrified to try to have a baby because of all the controversial stuff about melanoma and pregnancy. I've heard many people say once you have melanoma you always have it. It's just lying dormamt waiting to be triggered. Then I've heard that pregnancy will cause it to recur, or a new one to come up, or it come back with a vengeance and be stage IV. I don't want to not have another baby out of fear, but I also don't want to leave the children I already have behind just because my bilogical clock is ticking again. I've literally cried over this because I feel like my life will forever be on hold because of my diagnosis and I'm not getting any younger. I really need some help here. Has anyone had a pregnancy after melanoma and everything went great with no issues during or after? If so please let me know. I'm sorry for such a long post but no one else understands my feelings. I will add that my derm, my primary care physician, and another Doctor that deals with melanoma all gave me the go ahead. But after that stupid me Googled and got scared out of my wits. I so much would love to add to my family, but not at the cost of me leaving them behind. Please help someone. :(
WendyI37

Re: Pregnancy After Melanoma

Postby Catherine Poole » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:12 am

Do you see the HonCode symbol at the top of the page? WE have had their ok since 2012 to provide you with scientifically validated info. You need to stay on sites that have this. There is no reason to think your low risk lesion will spread, it has passed the two year mark and it was very low risk to begin with. Hormones are not the cause of melanoma, the sun and tanning lamps damage the dna.
Large studies bear this out: no hormonal connection. So go ahead and take care of your baby fever. Your doctors agree. But I have to warn you, babies grow up!
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation
Catherine Poole

Postby WendyI37 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:00 am

Catherine, thank you so much for your reply. Today is the day I'm suppose to have my IUD out. I had almost talked myself out of it because of a support group I was in. They told me it was linked and that my doctors lied to me. They said I needed to quit spreading untruth. It was horrible how they treated me. It was so bad that I started to doubt my doctors and myself. Thank you for being kind to me in my emotional state. And they do grow up haha. I think that's why I want another one so bad. I miss that baby stage. :)
WendyI37

Postby Catherine Poole » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:08 pm

Sounds like a terrible support group. Time to find a good one. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation
Catherine Poole

Return to Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II