Stage 3b Left Leg

This moderated forum is to provide support and direction for newly diagnosed stage III/IV patients

Stage 3b Left Leg

Postby mastnoam » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:07 pm

I was diagnosed recently with Stage 3b melanoma.

It showed up as thickness as 0.6mm in my left calf about 5 inches above my heel and was mitotic at 1sq/mm. Lymphovascular invasion with tumor infiltrating lymphocytes present with no ulceration.

I had melanoma removed from left calf - clear margins. I was required to have a sentinel lymph node biopsy of 1 in my knee and 2 in my groin. One in my knee came back 0.15mm positive with melanoma and one in groin as 0.05mm with melanoma. Extranodal extension absent.

It is being recommended that I have entire lymph nodes removed from my left groin and leg (which results in Lymphedema) from one surgical oncologist and another says he wouldn't recommend this procedure given I am only 51 years of age married with two kids. It has been absolutely recommended that I go on immunotherapy drugs - perhaps Opdivo.

I need some input from physicians or folks on whether to proceed with regional lymph node dissection with immunotherapy or just immunotherapy.
mastnoam

Re: Stage 3b Left Leg

Postby obtu » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:49 am

I had both of them. regional lymph node dissection + now in immunotherapy goes on with IPI (3mg/kg) for 3x4.
then will continue to follow up....
08/2017 - stage 3C
complete lenf node dissection
09/2017 - IPI started (3mg/kg)
09/2017 - radiotaion therapy started for (20 seances)
obtu

Postby Catherine Poole » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:54 am

Complete lymph node dissection is still controversial. Many of the top melanoma surgeons have given the opinion that it is overkill and causes lifelong quality of life issues while not improving outcome. I hope all goes well for you.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation
Catherine Poole

Postby obtu » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:56 am

Thank you for your feedback.
After complet lenf node dissection I have started IPI with 3mg/kg and I will keep it for 4 times every 3 weeks. at the same time radiation also started for 20 seances...
Later on I will keep on NIVO with 1mg/kg but currently I do not know the dose which will be suitable to use??? If any ideas or experiences please share.
08/2017 - stage 3C
complete lenf node dissection
09/2017 - IPI started (3mg/kg)
09/2017 - radiotaion therapy started for (20 seances)
obtu

Return to Newly Diagnosed Stage III/IV