Stage III choices

This moderated forum is to support the needs of patients with stage III melanoma, as well as to answer questions about treatment options and what to expect.

Re: Stage III choices YERVOY

Postby bcbcbc55 » Mon May 15, 2017 12:02 pm

After 4th Yervoy treatment spent 5 days in hospital, nerve damage to legs, ankles and feet!!

Phys therapy to walk, RISK OF FALLS currently even though back home.

Occurred very suddenly over 2 day period, started tingling in feet, traveled up back of legs to my waist!!

Could not get up from floor, took ambulance to hospital, started several medications mainly STERIODS

RECOVERY IN PROGRESS WITH A WALKER
bcbcbc55

Re: Stage III choices

Postby Catherine Poole » Mon May 22, 2017 6:38 am

I hope this side effect, called neuropathy subsides for you. Are you going off the Yervoy?
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation
Catherine Poole

Postby kris1 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:23 pm

Hi.

I am 37yrs old, otherwise healthy, and 3A/B (there is some disagreement which staging).

For me, near-term quality of life is less important and watch-and-wait is less attractive.

I am not eligible for the S1404 trial since I decided against CLND, given recently published research.

Right now, I am debating between Ipi 3mg or off-label Keytruda.

I am trying to understand, and likely make a bet on, the favorable results of Keytruda in Stage 4 being extrapolated to Stage 3. Both greater efficacy and less toxicity.

My docs seem overly hesitant to make this assumption and are pushing Ipi. However in my research it seems most oncologists - at the industry level - seem optimistic about the trial and prospects for Keytruda in adjuvant. It is frustrating that in the clinical setting they are being so conservative.

So, that's the decision I need to make.
kris1

Postby georgec1 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:56 pm

Hello Catherine
I've been ned for 2.5 years now. Last year they found something in my left breast. They ran tests on that and said there not concerned they will just observe it for now. I've learned to get over scanxiety or at least it only lasts for a day or two which I can definitely live with every 6 months. So far I have been very lucky, maybe blessed is really the right word. In June of this year I had a heart attack. As soon as I felt a little chest pain I went to the hospital and they put me on blood thinners and put a stent in on Monday. I had no heart damage at all and the doctor said I could start scuba diving again. The one thing melanoma has given me is the ability to stay in the moment and not sweat the small stuff. Thank you and everyone on this site for all the help and advice that I was given when I was first diagnosed.
George
georgec1

Postby Catherine Poole » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:47 am

Kris,
Sorry I didn't see your post sooner. I too, would push for Keytruda. I believe there will be less side effects for you and a better result (40% response or higher to 15% response for IPI)

George, glad you will be back scuba diving! Wow, would love to be doing that myself. Keep in touch
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation
Catherine Poole

Previous

Return to Melanoma: Stage III