TVEC trial or Opdivo/Ipi - newly diagnosed Stage 4

This moderated forum is to provide support and direction for newly diagnosed stage III/IV patients

TVEC trial or Opdivo/Ipi - newly diagnosed Stage 4

Postby charissa1969 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:51 pm

Hi, Catherine and everyone!
My name is Charissa Sampson. I was a member on the forum in 2013 when I was diagnosed Stage 3A. My most recent scans showed progression in my pelvic area and lungs. I am currently waiting on a biopsy to definitively confirm melanoma at the Brown Cancer Center in Louisville, KY where I am seeing Drs. Chesney and Miller. Dr. Miller suggested 2 options for treatment. One is the Opdivo/Ipi combo. The other is a clinical trial combining TVEC with Keytruda. Here is a link to the trial. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02263508 I'm not sure if I would be considered for inclusion yet, but I wanted to be prepared in case I am. Thank you so much for your input and being a place where true help can be found.
charissa1969

Re: TVEC trial or Opdivo/Ipi - newly diagnosed Stage 4

Postby Catherine Poole » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:22 am

What we know about these trials isn't scientifically validated yet but I will share what doctors tell me. The combination of Opdive/Ipi has shown remarkable results, but the toxicity is extreme for many and they have to drop out. Some still show a response. Often they just go on Opdivo or Keytruda alone which seems to be the most proven agent. The TVEC/Keytruda trial is also promising but again most likely it is the Keytruda doing the good work. Are your doctors willing to give you the single agent PD1 (keytruda or Opdivo) without trial? That is a possible plan. Sorry to hear of your recur and hope you can find a viable treatment that works for you.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation
Catherine Poole

Postby bcbcbc55 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:26 am

Sorry to hear about the progression, I'm newly diagnosed 3A and receiving Yervoy treatments.

Did the doctors do any treatments for you when you were stage 3A? Naturally I'm worried about progression to stage 4.

Hope the best for you
bcbcbc55

Postby carsonky » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:33 am

I am Charissa's brother Carson and I recently came across this forum and discovered her posts here. In case you didn't know, she passed away in July with stage 4, and reading about her journey here has helped me remember what a fighter she was. You all were very helpful and supportive to her and I wanted to personally thank you and wish everyone the best of luck in your personal journeys.
carsonky

Postby Catherine Poole » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:23 am

Thank you. I did hear from another patient here of her passing. I'm so sorry for you and your family's loss.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation
Catherine Poole

Return to Newly Diagnosed Stage III/IV