Melanoma under the toenail: How Common?

This moderated forum is to support the needs of patients with stage I & II melanoma, as well as answer questions about treatment options and what to expect.

Melanoma under the toenail: How Common?

Postby Rockford2 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:31 pm

I hate to be a pest.....and always worrying, but I need to talk to anyone who will listen about this next subject.

I always paint my toenails in the summer.  I do this every 2 weeks.  Last weekend, I noticed some black spot under my big toe and I decided to take off all of the nail polish from all of my toes.

What I found was very strange looking.  One lone black spot the size of a pin needle and next to that was a bigger black spot.  I cut my toenails as far as I could so I could scrub this black stuff out and even soaked it but it's still there.  Last year, my son dropped a heavy object on his big toe so I know what an injury to a toe looks like, but this neither hurts and it's just a small black spot and a little larger black spot.  The nail looks a little yellow also in comparison to my other big toe.

I have an appt to see my primary care physician on Aug 13th and my derm in Sept.  This doesn't hurt nor does it itch as my other melanoma did.....but does this sound like anything to worry about?  I never knew a mole could grow under a nail but at this point nothing surprises me anymore. 

Rockford2

Re: Melanoma under the toenail: How Common?

Postby Marsha » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:05 pm

Hi Rockford

Subungual melanoma is a specific type of melanoma that grows under the nail bed more commonly in dark skinned people.  It causes a dark coloured stripe that runs along the length of the nail not across it.  So what you're describing really doesn't sound like a subungual melanoma, but whilst I would try not to worry too much about it, I would definitely mention it to your physician in August, if it's still there, and I hope it's not!

Marsha x

Marsha

Postby Rockford2 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:13 pm

ok.  thanks so much, Marsha.  This is defintely a black spot and on top of the nail.  Doesn't sound at all like what you described. 

Rockford2

Postby Camille » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:27 pm

The same happened to me and of course I thought melanoma...But it was my shoe that hurt one of my toe and I noticed it when I removed the nail polish. My aunt who also had melanoma had a fungus and was also very concerned. I would not worry too much but it is indeed better to show it to your doctor.

Camille

Postby Marsha » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:32 pm

Oh dear, aren't we just so funny!  You've got me examining my feet now!!!

Marsha x

Marsha

Postby Shirley Z » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:00 am

This happened with my husband a while back.  His was like a black stripe.  Of course I couldn't get him in right away at the derm so I called our podiatrist and he biopsied it for him.  He called it ugly toe.  No fungus or anything else found.  Just the ugly black stuff.  Later on i noticed it was on his other big toe too.  Had I known that I proably wouldn't have been as concerned. 

I had this image of both of us walking around with missing big toes. Yikes!  Not sure my husband could handle it, he's a real baby when it comes to pain.  Are they all that way lol?

Shirley Z

Shirley Z

Postby Catherine Poole » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:31 am

Acral Lentiginous melanoma is very rare, happens to all races, but is the one melanoma that can occur in people of color.  Bob Marley died of this. It shows up in the toenail, fingernail, palms and soles of the feet.  When it affects the nail, it is usually on the big toe or thumb, it begins at the base and then makes a streak that extends to the tip. I too, sometimes worry I might have it, so it is a common concern, but rare occurence.

Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder

Melanoma International Foundation

The MIF Website and Forums are designed for educational purposes only and are not engaged in rendering medical advice or professional services. The information provided through this Website should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or a disease. It is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a health problem, you should consult your health care provider.

Catherine Poole

Postby Rockford2 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:45 am

I'm wondering what this could be?  It's definitely not a streak, and it actually looks like a mole growing at the tip of the toenail (now that I cut the toenail down to almost the skin) but I am through with worrying!  I will mention to my regular doc and not my surgeon when I go on Monday to have the stitches removed.

If I see another needle anytime soon, I may just lose my mind and no...I'm NOT kidding.  I sincerely need a break from all of this. 

Rockford2

Postby Rockford2 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:47 am

Oh Shirley......you are too cute!! 

Rockford2

Postby Catherine Poole » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:45 am

I wouldn't worry.  I know what you mean, so take a break and live in the moment.

The MIF Website and Forums are designed for educational purposes only and are not engaged in rendering medical advice or professional services. The information provided through this Website should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or a disease. It is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a health problem, you should consult your health care provider.

Catherine Poole

Return to Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II