Urgent: zelboraf

This moderated forum is to support the needs of patients with stage IV melanoma, as well as to answer questions about treatment options and what to expect.

Urgent: zelboraf

Postby ShannonWittgruber » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:03 pm

Hello everyone, I have not had time for an introduction yet but wanted to post a quick question.

Quick history: Dad has Stage IV melanoma in his spine, lungs, breast and kidney. This is dad's 3rd recurrence since his original DX in 2007. Currently severe compression in the spine. Surgery last week to reduce the size of the tumor that was fairly unsuccessful because of perfuce bleeding once they got to the tumor.

My Father had zelboraf delivered to his home today and the instructions say to start taking it....
Dad Is on Paxil (antidepressant) and we have been warned of the interactions with these 2 meds. The withdrawal from paxil is just awful and dad is really scared and lost as far as what to do now. Been trying to get ahold of the Family DR and Pharmacist all day and we have gotten no answers.
Wondering if anyone has been through a similar situation or knows what to do here. Also wondering if Dad can be put on another Anti depressant that wont interact with the Zelboraf and lessen the withdrawal symptoms of the paxil.

I am going to be on this site lots from now on as I am the only one in the family that has knowledge of these sites and forums.

By the way, my name is Shannon
Last edited by ShannonWittgruber on Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShannonWittgruber

Re: Urgent: zelboraf

Postby Dick_K » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:17 pm

Shannon
I can't answer your question but I can perhaps point you to some information. Genentech has a 24/7 support line staffed by medical professionals. Go to Zelboraf.com. Good luck.
Dick
Dick_K

Postby Mrs_Ras » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:24 pm

Shannon,

The phone number I call to speak with an after hours nurse is 1-855-935-2672. Since it's after hours they will take your information and have a nurse call you back. The nurse I always speak with is Wendy. She is very nice, supportive and very helpful. To get a voice mail straight to Wendy call 1-919-459-4959. This is her after hours number. If you leave a message with the 919 number she may not get back with you until tomorrow.
Hope this helps!!
Valerie
Mrs_Ras

Postby ShannonWittgruber » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:05 pm

Thank you everyone. Unfortunately I have called to speak with them and they are not able to speak with me or advise us because I am in Canada. The Canadian line said they couldn't help :(
ShannonWittgruber

Postby jasheure » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:55 pm

Me, i call Innomar Specialty Pharmacy near Toronto (Burlington) at the phone
1 (866) 949-9918 to got the Zelboraf and they tell me if it's compatible with all the pills already taken. Today my brother told me that they got a computer at the General Hospital of Montreal is able to tell him if medicines are compatible with the Zelboraf treatment. Maybe call there (514) 934-1934.
Actually, my brother took 3 months of Zelboraf ant 4 radios therapy in row since last sunday.
jasheure

Postby Catherine Poole » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:19 am

I have reached out to my contacts at Roche/Genentech to see if they can provide an answer. I have not heard of any interaction of Zelboraf and antidepressents. Also, I didn't think there were withdrawal issues with antidepressents. But I will see what I can find out. In the meantime, I would contact your local doctors and see what they think might be the solution.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation
Catherine Poole

Postby ShannonWittgruber » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:25 am

After numerous phone calls and waiting for answers the oncologist called and said Dad is safe to start the meds and stay on his paxil. Although there is a risk of a heart attack with the combination of the 2 the benefits outweigh the risks. Dad will be send monthly for an EKG to make sure everything is well
ShannonWittgruber

Postby Catherine Poole » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:08 am

I, too, couldn't get an answer from the pharma who makes Zelboraf. I have not heard of any issue with antidepressents and Zelboraf. But I am waiting for another response. I'll let you know what I hear. I hope things go smoother for your dad.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation
Catherine Poole

Return to Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV