Mucus in lung spotted on CT

This moderated forum is to support the needs of patients with stage IV melanoma, as well as to answer questions about treatment options and what to expect.
jessica_f

Mucus in lung spotted on CT

Post by jessica_f » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:23 pm

Hi everyone, I’m a 43yo female in good health, NED since my lung resection + IPI in 2015/16. Other than a scare last year with my spine (lesions turned out to be inactive on PET), I’ve been in good health.

I got my scan results this week and a new spot showed up in my lungs. My onc thinks that it’s a mucus plug but I’m not sick / don’t have asthma or any kind of lung issues.

She’s suggested that I get re-scanned in 3 months.

Have any of you heard this kind of result before? I went through two years of watching my lung mets slowly grow because she was convinced they were benign. She’s a terrific melanoma onc but is not an alarmist. I’m scratching my head trying to figure out how I could all of a sudden have a spot of mucus show up in my lungs when I’m healthy. And given my history of being told that something was benign when it wasn’t, I’m skeptical. Any thoughts would be appreciated... (I don’t yet have the scan results from my chart but I saw the spot on the lung scan and it looks to be about a centimeter or two in length based on the size of my previous mets).

Thanks,
Jessica

Respman

Re: Mucus in lung spotted on CT

Post by Respman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:10 am

Hi Jessica,

I would ask for a pulmonary consult. If it is a simple mucus plug they can do an outpatient bronchoscopy and clean it right up. If it's not, they can biopsy it. Either way your concerns are taken care of and you aren't waiting to see what happens. Good luck!

Jim Doughfman MS, RRT

Catherine Poole

Post by Catherine Poole » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:28 am

Jessica,
If you are only relying on PET Scans, they notoriously show false positives. I would ask for a CT or CAT scan. Otherwise, many folks show spots on their lungs that turn out to be nothing serious. You might also seek another opinion. Take care.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation

jessica_f

Post by jessica_f » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:33 am

Thanks Jim and Catherine. Catherine it was a CT that found the spot but I might take Jim’s advice and have it biopsied. Might at least give me some piece of mind...

Thanks,
Jessica