newly diagnozed melanoma in siti waiting for WIE

Did you just receive a melanoma diagnosis? This is the perfect moderated forum to obtain information about pathology as well as get your most important questions answered.
Gypsy

newly diagnozed melanoma in siti waiting for WIE

Post by Gypsy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:57 pm

Hello there,

I'm so glad I found this forum. My dermatologist mentioned being careful with some of the info online, and I have to say it scared me more than i admit.

I've spent many summers at the pool suntanning in the 60's meaning baby oil and iodine. I didn't know anything about the dangers. In college I loved to study outside by the pool and moving to Florida and across the street from the beach I enjoyed my time swimming laps in pool and walking the beach but I now use sunscreen.

I have a lot of other health issues so I allow myself my time in sun, always assuming i might get skin cancer, but I thought it would be the other two, when I heard it was melanoma I couldn't believe it, i joked with my dermo and acted unconcerned. But I am scared.. it was like getting hit in the stomach.. Melanoma.. A facebook friend of mind that enjoys most of what I do died in two weeks from melanoma She never knew..

Ok, along with the introduction I had several questions about waiting for the surgery. My dermatologist did a biospy, and set me up for an apt with a surgeon. They wanted me to wait until first week of Sept, but diagnosed on August 3rd, I've got them to move up to next tuesday. I don't know if they are doing the surgery that day or a consult, but I worry with melanoma even if it is in situ.. So I wonder Should insist the WIE be done in the office on tuesday??

Now for the biopsy report It was read by Dermatopatholgist Reading this what do you think and any questions or red flags? "Melanoma in situ, biopsy, extending to one peripheral edge" Does that mean the melanoma extends to the edge??
Left lateral thigh, shave, r/o atypia
Gross descripition. received in 10% neutral buffered formalin is a 0.8 CM Tan Irregular skin segment TS 3.
Microscopic description: The epidermis shows a broad confluent proliferation of mostly solitary, junctional, Atypical melanocytes

I've spent time checking out info but at this point I'm not sure what are the right questions I should ask.. Thanks for any advice for me.

Catherine Poole

Re: newly diagnozed melanoma in siti waiting for WIE

Post by Catherine Poole » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:28 am

It sounds like you are very fortunate to find this early. Sometimes a wide excision isn't done on an insitu melanoma. There wouldn't be ample reason to take more skin. Normally, the biopsy takes care of the melanoma. The only thing besides the depth of the lesion is the mitotic value. But I doubt there would be one. Again, congrats on finding this early when it is curable. I hope you will cover up with clothing and shade and avoid the peak hours of sunlight along with the sunscreen.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:37 am

Thank You Catherine, I guess this is why they aren't in a huge hurry to do the WIE. I read the initial biopsy usually takes care of the melanoma insitu, but I thought the standard treatment was the wide area incision?

I went to the dermatologist for rosacea. and he suggested I come back for skin care check up. So I owe a big Thanks to him.

I feel much better about my apt tomorrow at the surgeon consult. Thanks

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:38 pm

Catherine Thanks so much for all the information you have and that you’re willing to share with others

I thought I had replied to all your information yesterday but don’t see it here now, sorry

I’m happy with my surgical consult. He took longer than I expected to explain what he would do and measured and drew the margins on my thigh so I could see what skin he would cut off. He said he likes to err on the safe side and hopes this will be my only surgical procedure pls he said the sooner the better so I’ll be back at his office on Thursday. I’m relieved and thankful this was caught early. But he said I would be having a close relationship with my dermatologist for the next five years.

It will be done at n the surgeons office, under local anesthetic and Im welcome to drive myself to the facility. I can do this!,

Catherine Poole

Post by Catherine Poole » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:21 am

Yes, the wide excision is old theory that still stands. Taking more skin is better. This may change someday. He sounds conservative and that just may be his standard of care. Insitu means the lesion cannot spread, it stays "in place." so that is why a wide excision is sort of overkill. But go with what you feel comfortable doing..let us know how you are doing.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation