Stage 2b but need PET scan and MRI?

Did you just receive a melanoma diagnosis? This is the perfect moderated forum to obtain information about pathology as well as get your most important questions answered.
Comet55555

Stage 2b but need PET scan and MRI?

Post by Comet55555 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:22 pm

Hi,

Just got diagnosed with Stage 2b melanoma. My sentinel node was clear, but they still want me to do a PET scan and MRI. I know there are false negatives with sentinel lymph node biopsies, but what are the odds that something would show up on a PET scan or MRI if my node was clear? And if it did, does that mean at that point I'm Stage 4? Thanks.

Catherine Poole

Re: Stage 2b but need PET scan and MRI?

Post by Catherine Poole » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:12 am

I'm sure this is a scary time for you. Can you tell us more about your melanoma? Where was it? Did it have a mitotic value? Did they test it for BRAF mutation? We recommend CT scans not PET usually, and possibly they want to do a baseline in case you recur. You are correct that the sentinel node biopsy isn't perfect in predicting disease spread. But tell us a little more about your situation. Maybe we can weigh in better with more information. Where are you going for treatment?
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation

Comet55555

Post by Comet55555 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:54 am

On my collarbone.

I'm at Mass General Hospital, which I guess is 12th in the nation for cancer treatment, if U.S. News & World Report is to be believed.

They said something like "intermediate" mitoses, I want to say 3?

No test that I know of for BRAF mutation.

I just read on my sheet that they're calling the PET scan a "PET CT." Is it both, I wonder?

The MRI is just on my brain.

Thanks!

Catherine Poole

Post by Catherine Poole » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:19 pm

You are in an excellent center for melanoma. A Pet/CT is a good idea to get a baseline. PET alone isn't recommended. I would ask about your BRAF status as I'm sure they've looked at that. Hope this helps you. (and yes the MRI is done to look for brain mets)

Comet55555

Post by Comet55555 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:55 pm

Well, good news is that brain MRI, CT scan, and PET scan from yesterday all came out clear. I can't believe I got the results so soon! Saved me a week or two of anxiety.

So with those 3 scans, plus my negative sentinel node, I'm feeling very optimistic that this could be over, although I know it's not 100 percent. Thanks for your information.

Catherine Poole

Post by Catherine Poole » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:32 am

Good News! Thanks for letting us know your results. I hope you have a great relaxing holiday.