Otoplasty after a recovery!

This forum was created for those with an incredibly hard task: taking care of someone they love who is ill.
darlene

Otoplasty after a recovery!

Post by darlene » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:22 am

Hi everyone, I am from Toronto and I have been taking care of my elder sister for the past 6 years. I just love to be her caregiver than being her younger sister. She had diagnosed with a large lymph node in her parotid gland 7 years ago. She had two surgeries; where the lymph node and the gland were removed in the first surgery and the complete lymph node on the right side of the neck was dissected in the second surgery. I took her complete responsibility when her husband left her. She was just 29 at that time! She has some minor numbness around her ear and apart from that she is doing perfectly fine now. She has come to a normal life and we feel sop happy for her. Recently she asked me for an otoplasty (ear reshaping) and that really made me happy as she started caring herself! I don't know whether she can do a surgery on her ear as she still has the numbness. Anyway, I have planned to get in contact with a good plastic surgeon in Toronto. While looking into some review sites, I found some good reviews about Dr.Sammy Sliwin who has a rating of 8.6 out of 10 - http://www.goodsurgeonbadsurgeon.com/pl ... my-sliwin/ . I just want to know your suggestions regarding this. Will the doctor be ready to do the surgery for her? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Catherine Poole

Re: Otoplasty after a recovery!

Post by Catherine Poole » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:41 am

I'm sorry, I don't know about this procedure and can't advise you. Hope all goes well.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation

marti

Re: Otoplasty after a recovery!

Post by marti » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:57 pm

Hi Darlene,

Sorry for my late answer; just read your mail. I am a bit confused; your sister wants an otoplasty for removal of glands. Why does she wants an ear reshaping ?

I had a melanoma on my outer ear, and operated twice, first a small piece out, followed by taken out a 'pizza' slice out of my ear 5 years after recurrence of the melanoma.

This ear is now much' smaller' and is facing forward,and yes there is a difference. Since people can hardly see both ears at the same time; the difference is hardly noticeable.(At least thats what people tell me)

I am still feeling 'lucky' having the melanoma on an outside part of my body, hardly noticeable in the first place, secondly:it does not affect my life.

But: even after 3-years surgery this ear is still very sensible,for example sleeping on that side is still not possible, wearing sunhat or glasses, is still a challenge. I would be carefull having another surgery - for reconstruction ear.

Of course I don't know the extend of her ear surgery; just want to tell you my view.

Marti