Remission vs. NED

This moderated forum is to support the needs of patients with stage IV melanoma, as well as to answer questions about treatment options and what to expect.
Catherine Poole

Remission vs. NED

Post by Catherine Poole » Mon May 07, 2018 7:31 am

A great question I had in an email was what is the difference between these two terms. As we all hang on to every word the medical team says there is rarely a word about remission, but instead NED or no evidence of disease. Remission means temporary recovery, NED means no evidence of cancer but could be a long term or short term stage of condition. What do you folks think?
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation

JBunyan

Re: Remission vs. NED

Post by JBunyan » Wed May 16, 2018 7:41 am

My latest report to my GP from my Oncologist says: "Recent MRI (Brain) shows no evidence of recurrent disease"; (Had 2 brain mets as part of other widespread torso deposits in 2012/2013). Then he says :" My stance is that the chances of a systemic recurrence are now very small"

This follows Ipi treatment ending in Jan 2014 , fortunately, for me, successful. CT scans now stopped, just annual Brain MRI.

I think remission is a fair word with all cancer at this stage of our knowledge.

Catherine Poole

Re: Remission vs. NED

Post by Catherine Poole » Wed May 16, 2018 1:38 pm

Thanks and good to hear from you!
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation