Zelboraf and side effects especially hair loss

This moderated forum is to support the needs of patients with stage IV melanoma, as well as to answer questions about treatment options and what to expect.
oshihari

Zelboraf and side effects especially hair loss

Post by oshihari » Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 pm

My hair loss on Zelboraf was my hair evenly thinning all over. I have very thick hair so I loved my new hair! But I did wonder if it would continue but I was only on it for 3 mos?. My scalp hurt all over like when you have a ponytail and then you let it loose? Hard to describe. No bald spots. I went on to Yervoy and now have developed Vitiligo spot(white hair) 1/2 yrs after completing and it went on to losing hair in that spot. While on Zelboraf I realized that there was a huge amount of hair in the shower drain and was so shocked. I never lose hair while washing my hair or even brushing. I don't know where it goes. Now 2 yrs since Zelboraf I feel full thickness never came back but definitely some of it.

Catherine Poole

Re: Zelboraf and side effects especially hair loss

Post by Catherine Poole » Fri May 18, 2018 6:07 pm

Sorry to hear of your hair difficulties. The white hair though, is a good sign. It often means you are having a good response to the drugs. I know how these side effects can be awful but hopefully you will regain what's lost..
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation

DickK

Re: Zelboraf and side effects especially hair loss

Post by DickK » Sat May 19, 2018 3:57 pm

I don't know what I can say about your hair except to share some of my experience. I have now been on Zelboraf for eight years and three months. In the first year, I lost ALL body hair below my neck. (I remember suggesting to Genentech that if they could figure out what caused the body hair loss without the side effects, they had another great product.) My facial hair, eyebrows, and hair on head was not lost. I think I lost some hair on my head, but I'm now 71 years old and I was balding anyway.

I am still taking Zelboraf and the body hair has returned although not nearly as much as there was. What did come back is also a much finer texture.

For me, it was all a very small price to pay. I wish you the very best.