Newly Diagnosed - Insitu

Did you just receive a melanoma diagnosis? This is the perfect moderated forum to obtain information about pathology as well as get your most important questions answered.

Newly Diagnosed - Insitu

Postby Lorelle » Fri May 18, 2018 2:59 am

I was recently diagnosed with insitu Melanoma. Biopsy done just under hairline on face it came back Lentigo Maligna Insitu, regression present. Went for the WLE with plastic surgeon, 6 cm scar. Pathology back Superficial Spreading Insitu - Residual atypical melanocytic proliferation along dermoepidermal junction, exhibiting nested lentigious, pagetoid growth patterns. Comprising of some highly atypical melanocytes. No invasion, ulceration or regression identified. Excision of scar is complete with 3.2 mm margins.

I asked surgeon why its not the 5mm, he said he took 5mm but it shrinks somewhat in the formalin? Has anyone experienced this. I am on regular skin checks with lymph node checks as well. I lost my father to melanoma so was sun safe and having yearly checks although none ever checked my hair! .. Luckily this was reasonably visible so spotted early on.
Lorelle

Re: Newly Diagnosed - Insitu

Postby Catherine Poole » Sat May 19, 2018 7:04 am

Good for you that all is being found early when it is curable. I'm sure you do self exam which is very important. So sorry for your loss of your father. Take good care.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation
Catherine Poole

Return to Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed - Stages I & II