Full Node Dissection May be History

This moderated forum is to support the needs of patients with stage III melanoma, as well as to answer questions about treatment options and what to expect.
Catherine Poole

Full Node Dissection May be History

Post by Catherine Poole » Tue May 22, 2018 6:43 am

A researcher at the MRA conference again confirmed that a full node dissection is most likely overkill. Often she feels that the melanoma cells have already escaped. Quality of life is a huge concern with a full node dissection whereas some folks may have to live a very limited life due to lymphedema and mobility issues. So it appears to me that adjuvant therapy may play a bigger role. We now have the PD1 drug opdivo and soon will have Keytruda approved for stage 3A and up. That may create a bigger quality of life issue deciding who should watch and wait and others who may experience serious side effects
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation

Happy_girl

Re: Full Node Dissection May be History

Post by Happy_girl » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:40 pm

This is great. It does make me wonder- i did choose to get a CLND 4 years ago ( even though Dr Coit was very comfortable with me not getting one.). I do get very nervous abou not having done any extra therapy - Is it a question I should ask after i have my daughter in January- if I need anything, or since it is several years removed- it is not necessary unless (hopefully not) something would arise. I often wonder this when I see new things approved for 3A.

I hope this makes sense! Thanks!

Catherine Poole

Re: Full Node Dissection May be History

Post by Catherine Poole » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:08 am

The theory behind CLND is that it will take out any stray melanoma cells. But this doesn't bear out. It instead causes quality of life issues without extra benefit. Hope your pregnancy is going smoothly! Please stay in touch.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation