Off to ASCO: Questions?

This moderated forum is to support the needs of patients with stage IV melanoma, as well as to answer questions about treatment options and what to expect.
Catherine Poole

Off to ASCO: Questions?

Post by Catherine Poole » Wed May 30, 2018 6:33 am

ASCO, the worlds largest gathering oncologists takes place June 1. I will head to Chicago (on scholarship!) and be targeting the lead researchers for something new to share about melanoma treatment and other areas with you. If you have any particular questions, please ask! I am representing all of you on this journey.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation

Catherine Poole

Re: Off to ASCO: Questions?

Post by Catherine Poole » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:54 am

Looks like the combinations of our great PD1 drugs are the hot topic. Either used together or in sequence. Still no concrete evidence of the best way to go or which drugs are the best for combining. It is suggest PDl testing might be tried before spread, possibly in stage 3.Hope that we will find out more during this meeting.

Catherine Poole

Post by Catherine Poole » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:15 am

I am putting my notes together from attending ASCO and will create a blog soon putting it all together. Nothing earth shattering but two takeaways I think may affect you now, were: for brain mets start PD1 before radiation or during, do NOT wait until after the radiation for the best response. Secondly, there will be many trials of PD1 combos, including sequential therapies and triplets! Not just the combination of one or two therapies, but possibly three. More soon, I promise. But we are in a much better place for melanoma therapy than we've been since the beginning of attempting to bring this disease down.

Tracyyy

Post by Tracyyy » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:03 am

Thank you for the update, Catherine!

buffcody

Post by buffcody » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:42 pm

Catherine,

Your remark about starting PD1 simultaneously with SRS recalled how fortunate I was in 2012 that my oncologist at U. of M., Chris Lao, started me on Yervoy while I was having my two brain tumors zapped. When I look back now at the survival rates at that time with SRS alone, I consider myself fortunate and blessed to have had an onc who was ahead of what was then the curve. Frank