Can't Taste Salt

This moderated forum is to support the needs of patients with stage IV melanoma, as well as to answer questions about treatment options and what to expect.

Can't Taste Salt

Postby Respman » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:59 am

I've been on Zelboraf and Cotellic for about 24 days now and it seems my side effects are going to be tolerable for now. I have the sun sensitivity big time and some fatigue at the end of the day. Those were kind of expected. The one I didn't see coming was that I lost the ability to taste salt. Sweet, sour and bitter are all there but salt is missing. Now most of the foods I adore taste like chewing on paper. Has anyone else had this particular issue? Is there any ways around this problem? I'm not a sweets person but this is driving me to eating more sweet things just for the taste. I'm already overweight so that is the last thing I need.
Thanks,
Jim D
Respman

Re: Can't Taste Salt

Postby Catherine Poole » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:27 am

I have not heard this as a common side effect of the this combo. There are two other braf/mek combinations now on the market that you might discuss with your medical team. If you are up to it, an exercise routine thrown in might help mitigate any weight gain and also boost your immune system. Keep in touch and let us know how it is going for you.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation
Catherine Poole

Re: Can't Taste Salt

Postby Respman » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:34 am

Thanks for the response.
Respman

Return to Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV