Drains post op lymph node dissection Stage 3

This moderated forum is to support the needs of patients with stage III melanoma, as well as to answer questions about treatment options and what to expect.
jayweidner

Drains post op lymph node dissection Stage 3

Post by jayweidner » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:21 pm

Has anyone had drains in for 5 weeks post groin lymph node dissection? Our Dr is saying this is fine but drainage is still at 85ml per 24hr period and doesn't seem to be slowing. Worried about further risk of infection but also lymphedema. Also wondering if there is anything to be done to help with drainage (have tried minimizing activity, hot compresses, compression socks etc.). Any help much appreciated.

Catherine Poole

Re: Drains post op lymph node dissection Stage 3

Post by Catherine Poole » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:40 pm

What has your medical team suggested? PT is often suggested for lymphdema. Did you have complete dissection? I urge you to call and tell your team of this issue and ask for solutions. I'm sorry you have to endure this..
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation

jayweidner

Post by jayweidner » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:14 pm

Hi Catherine. Saw the team 2 weeks ago and they wanted to keep the drains in. There is no sign of lymphedema thus far and minimal swelling. Question is mostly around how to minimize drainage so these can come out and can start PT (which they have recommended) and also immunotherapy treatment again (which is on hold while drains are in). 12 nodes removed.

Catherine Poole

Post by Catherine Poole » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:50 am

How many nodes were positive? Two weeks is a long time. I would suggest you call them tomorrow about the drainage issue. Why are they holding off on the immunotherapy? How would that affect the drainage? Sorry I have more questions than answers.

jayweidner

Post by jayweidner » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:45 am

no problem catherine. fully understand the questions. only 1 node was positive. biopsy of others was really good. no further spread has occurred. they said immuno would cause for higher levels of drainage which they want to avoid since the drainage has been on the higher side.

Catherine Poole

Post by Catherine Poole » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:00 am

Was the node macro or micro involved?