WLE pain, pathology report excision opened

Did you just receive a melanoma diagnosis? This is the perfect moderated forum to obtain information about pathology as well as get your most important questions answered.
Gypsy

WLE pain, pathology report excision opened

Post by Gypsy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:16 pm

I've got good news but confusion. If Catherine and any one else could comment that would be so helpful. First off, i had a melanoma insitu diagnosis, referred to surgeon for a WLE. From what I've ready on this forum and others, I was surprised I was in so much pain. My incision was on my thigh and everytime I moved, sat, stood etc I was in very bad pain. So that surprised me. There was constant seeping and some blood so i had to change bandage several times during the day. I called my docs office and they said since the discharge didn't smell bad that i should wait until today. I normally heal very well so while part of the incision was looking good, the center was still seeping and it turns out it the stiches had come out in the center and it was an open wound. He is putting me on antibiotic just in case though he said it wasn't infected. So the stitches came out, hurt, and a new dressing. I was told to call and come in if anything changes but he wants to see me in two more weeks to make sure. Is this unsual?? It certainly is unusual for me.

I got a copy of the pathology report. Unlike the initial biopsy, this one doesn't mention being read by a dermopathologist. I'm thrilled it says free of melanoma, but I don't see any mention of melanoma in situ . Perhaps because they didn't find anything?

Final Diagnosis. Left lather thigh excision, no residual malignant melanoma is identified Ulceration with acute and chronic inflammation and granulation tissue at the site of the prior biopsy. Focal junctional melanocytic hyplastis. The inked margins of excision are free of malignancy and free of any melanocytic lesions

I don't know where the ulceration or inflammation means, does this look alright to you or should I try to find out more? I go see my primary care doc on tuesday and I plan on asking her this info too
Thanks all. Has any one else had more pain than what a tylenol would take care of??

Catherine Poole

Re: WLE pain, pathology report excision opened

Post by Catherine Poole » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:59 am

Hello,
The reexcision rarely shows anything in the pathology report, especially with a low risk lesion such as yours. I think your issue is the spot where the surgery was done is hard to heal due to location. Unless you lie flat all day, there will be a stretching and movement in this area. You are melanoma free and this is just a healing issue. Try to rest a bit and not move your leg a lot. Are you putting antibiotic cream on it as well? So bottom line the melanoma is gone!
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation

Gypsy

Re: WLE pain, pathology report excision opened

Post by Gypsy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:01 am

Thanks Catherine, I feel better. I'm lucky to have got this wake up call caught very early on. I imagine all of us on here really appreciate your willingness to educate and support all of us.

Yes, I'm using polysporin before I put my bandages back on. I also started a five day supply of doxycyline.

And you are right. It's so hard to keep from moving this area, but I will try