food: chlorella and spirulina

This moderated forum is to support the needs of patients with stage I & II melanoma, as well as answer questions about treatment options and what to expect.
toni

food: chlorella and spirulina

Post by toni » Mon May 25, 2009 4:37 am

Hello everyone,
who can tell me whether chlorella and spirulina are good for a melanoma patients' diet?
I read that these two products have active anticancer properties. 
Toni

Catherine Poole

Re: food: chlorella and spirulina

Post by Catherine Poole » Tue May 26, 2009 2:43 am

Hi Toni,
  I'm not a fan of food supplements and only could comment on those proven by scientific study to do something for immunity or cancer prevention.  These supplements you mention are a form of blue-green algae I believe and I haven't read of their having any significant impact on cancer.  There are plenty of these things around and many companies profiting from their sales.  I wouldn't buy it unless there is proof by independent study.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation
The MIF Website and Forums are designed for educational purposes only and are not engaged in rendering medical advice or professional services. The information provided through this Website should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or a disease. It is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a health problem, you should consult your health care provider.

Worrywart

Post by Worrywart » Tue May 26, 2009 4:40 am

I do not know that much about these two, but I am interested in looking into them.  The FDA and pharmaceutical companies work together so, personally, I wouldn't wait for a study.  They are unlikely to spend the time, effort and money on something homeopathic as it is of no financial gain for them. 
Melissa

Catherine Poole

Post by Catherine Poole » Tue May 26, 2009 5:19 am

I would wait for a study by the National Cancer Institute who does look at these alternative products. The profit motive is very strong for the companies who sell these additives and bill them as "cancer fighting" substances. They don't undergo as much scrutiny by the FDA as do the pharma products. We've seen in the past where things like echanacea didn't do anything but have a placebo affect.
The MIF Website and Forums are designed for educational purposes only and are not engaged in rendering medical advice or professional services. The information provided through this Website should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or a disease. It is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a health problem, you should consult your health care provider.

toni

Post by toni » Fri May 29, 2009 3:51 am

Thank you for your reactions,
I know enough to stay skeptical. I would give it a try anyway but that stuff seems very expensive anyway.. In the mean time, I am trying to loose weight. Some said it helps.
Toni

CélineJouvet

Post by CélineJouvet » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:46 pm

Catherine Poole wrote:
Tue May 26, 2009 5:19 am
I would wait for a study by the National Cancer Institute who does look at these alternative products. The profit motive is very strong for the companies who sell these additives and bill them as "cancer fighting" substances. They don't undergo as much scrutiny by the FDA as do the pharma products. We've seen in the past where things like echanacea didn't do anything but have a placebo affect.
Certainly we should wait for serious research in this regard to know the effectiveness of these supplements, as you say. This interesting article tells us about the efficacy with scientific evidence of spirulina, and the truth is that it is not much ...
https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/natural/923.html

gauri

Post by gauri » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:34 am

Thank you for the post.