Melanoma questions....

Did you just receive a melanoma diagnosis? This is the perfect moderated forum to obtain information about pathology as well as get your most important questions answered.
Veryon

Melanoma questions....

Post by Veryon » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:46 am

I know its no big deal but anything with the C word freaks me out. I had a positive tested mole "beauty mark" permanently removed today. He was a biggen!!! It grew from a pencil eraser to a quarter in a year. She cut out a football size chunk about 5" long and 1.5" wide. She put 7 inside stitches and 17 outside....

Im sore as HE!!.... and it hurts!!!!!

For those that have traveled down this road... what has been the long term results of these things??? I go back in 3 months for a full "beauty mark" assessment, then twice a year for the next 5 years to keep an eye on them....

Catherine Poole

Re: Melanoma questions....

Post by Catherine Poole » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:45 am

Beauty marks are an old term for moles. Moles when hit by tanning salon light or the sun can have the dna mutated into being a cancer, or melanoma. When the melanoma grows into the skin it can eventually reach the blood stream and lymph nodes spread to become a tumor inside the body. Did you go to a melanoma center of excellence? How deep was it? Perhaps a sentinel node biopsy should be performed? Please read more here to learn more. Knowledge is power.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation

point30

Re: Melanoma questions....

Post by point30 » Wed May 08, 2019 12:38 pm

Veryon what were your results (depth and mitotic rate)?

I am going to my 2 year check up in May for a stage 1b diagnosis and excision in January 2017. So far so good, but of course as I near the time for my appointments my anxiety starts to creep in. Likely you have the same kinds of feelings, the members of this forum are excellent to help and relate. Keep us posted!