Melanoma return from 2010

This moderated forum is to support the needs of patients with stage IV melanoma, as well as to answer questions about treatment options and what to expect.
Mikey

Melanoma return from 2010

Post by Mikey » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:19 pm

I had a pet scan for a recurring prostate cancer. No prostate cancer return as of now and on watchful waiting. They did discover a single nodule cancer on my right lung and I had a resection done early march. Went back for a check up and it was determined cancer was from a Melanoma in 2010 on my back. Currently am NED and go for a Brain MRI Monday and first Keytruda treatment Tuesday. They are still determining if I have Braf gene, so things could change. I have been at Brighams and now Dana Farber in Boston and so far feel in good hands with DR. Hodi. Wondering what to expect for symptoms from first treatment and if Prostate cancer (still contained in prostate) will complicate future treatments. I guess better to have this recur when it seems better outcomes are happening verses 2010 when it was pretty grim. Any advice much appreciated.

Catherine Poole

Re: Melanoma return from 2010

Post by Catherine Poole » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:13 am

Sorry to hear about the recur. As far as the prostate cancer goes, it is usually quite treatable in early stage. It is very common among older men. The melanoma recur sounds like a local incidence, and yes, you are in very good hands with Dr. Hodi. I imagine this is scary and overwhelming but I'm certain this will be contained. Let us know what plans are put in place. We are indeed fortunate to have the current therapies available. Also, Dick, who posts here had both prostate and melanoma and is NED.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation

DickK

Post by DickK » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:55 pm

Mikey,
Sorry to read about all you are going through. It seems we have a couple of things in common. I think our commutes for treatment are similar in as much they are in large cities; Boston for you and New York City for me. I might have the easier commute? Manhattan is basically laid out in an easy to follow grid where Boston is ??? (I once was trying to get to Fenway Park and every time I thought I was getting close, I could see it out of a different window of the car.)

I have had four different cancers, two of which were melanoma and prostate. My prostate was initially found during a PET/CT scan for melanoma. My melanoma was initially found and removed back in 1998. It managed to come back in my lung in 2009. I started treatment with vemurafenib in March 2010 and I continue on it today. The prostate cancer was confirmed in 2010 with a biopsy. I have had four prostate biopsies with three different urologists. My Gleason is (3+3)=6 and my PSA hovers around 2.7. I currently am on active surveillance, similar to your watchful waiting.

Neither of my doctors see any conflict with the two cancers and I’m ok with that. I do everything that’s expected of me and I just go about enjoying life. Hope you can do the same.

Oh I almost forgot, don’t let your doctor get away with telling you that a clean MRI is “nothing remarkable”.

Take care and good luck,
Dick

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:55 am

Hi Dick, Thanks so much for your reply. I know what you mean about Boston traffic and directions. It seems we had the opposite in that my return melanoma to the lung, was found during a pet-scan for suspected return of prostate cancer. Melanoma originally from 2010. Prostate cancer 2012 which so far I have had Brachytherapy 2012 failed in 2014. MRI guided Cryotherapy in 2015 and again in 2017. Rising PSA is the concern for now. I had my first Immunology treatment with Keytruda infusion 2 days ago. Drove myself home to VT. after and have had no ill effects so far. I have no evident cancer in my body right now so it seems a good start for this therapy. Best to you and hope all goes well. Thanks again for the advice.

Catherine Poole

Post by Catherine Poole » Wed May 08, 2019 7:32 am

Mikey, how are things going?

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Thu May 09, 2019 7:22 am

Hi Catherine thanks for asking? I have had two infusions so far (keytruda) , and have been tolerating them well. I have a petscan coming up early June. I did just post about a gene oncology test I had in which I was missing the JAK1 gene and that was a predictor for a negative outcome. Doctor Hodi did not change anything and said the science was too early to evaluate for his treatment plan. Wondering if you have any opinion on this. Thanks

Catherine Poole

Post by Catherine Poole » Sat May 11, 2019 4:59 pm

I had not heard of this but will check into it. Things change all the time as they look for markers. Glad to hear you are doing well on Keytruda. Keep in touch.