under the knife

Did you just receive a melanoma diagnosis? This is the perfect moderated forum to obtain information about pathology as well as get your most important questions answered.
cowboy

under the knife

Post by cowboy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:59 am

I will have surgery for a mole in my back. Don't have the stats on the size of the mole except that plastic surgeon said that the needle biopsy nearly got it all. '

I am having sentinel node biopsy and then surgery.

i have not had surgery before and i guess i assumed i would go in, get some stiches , and that is that.

But in fact i will get a pretty good chunck of myself cutout and plastered over, hence the plastic surgeon and not my dermatologist.

my question: what is the recovery like?

Catherine Poole

Re: under the knife

Post by Catherine Poole » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:41 am

Please read about the sentinel node biopsy here: http://melanomainternational.org/melano ... cAb35JKiM8

You need to ask some questions of your provider: what anesthesia are you using? will I be outpatient and go home shortly after the procedure? When will you have the results? Will we talk about adjuvant therapy then. What discomfort will I feel? I hope this helps you. Try to take good care of yourself in the meantime and soon the procedure will be over.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation