Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV Craig Updates Reply To: Craig Updates

Lesli
Participant

Hi Craig,

As others have noted, the recommended course, assuming you are BRaf positive, is a combination Braf/Mek inhibitor. I responded very well and very quickly to the Zelboraf/Mekinist combo. It seems more common, since last September when they were approved to prescribe as a combo, to combine the GSK combo (Taflinar/Mekinist). The combination has been shown to postpone progression for an average 5 months longer than just a Braf drug on its own.

From my experience, I can’t stress enough how important sun protection is while on Zelboraf. I suffered a “flash burn” from standing on my porch for 5 minutes. I had second degree burns on my legs and ended up living something like a mole rat for the three months I was on the Z/M combo. Rash, acne, sun sensitivity and aches in my legs were well worth the price of ratcheting back the cancer as quickly and as effectively as these drugs did. If you are lucky enough to be eligible to take them, I wouldn’t hesitate. Just be very careful around any UV light. Driving, sitting by a window or being outdoors requires vigilant sun protection. UV treated clothes, sunscreen and a hat are a “must.”Did I mention that I managed to acquire a sunburn through my clothes? That was demoralizing….!

Best of luck to you. Leslie