Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV Everything you want to know about the expanded access of PD1 Reply To: Everything you want to know about the expanded access of PD1

PatW
Participant

njreaders wrote:

I’m concerned about the exclusion for brain mets. Who else is this program for but for people who have cancer anywhere??? Some of my husband’s brain tumors shrank, some are stable and some might have grown but it could be Yervoy ‘pseudo-progesson”. I’m concerned he’ll be excluded when he needs it asap.

Active brain mets are excluded from almost all clinical trials. It is rare to find a clinical trial that will allow people with brain mets. I suspect that the reason for this is that the body has a poorly-defined mechanism that prevents most substances in the blood from getting into the brain. It’s called the “blood-brain barrier”. If patients with active brain mets are on a clinical trial but the drug or treatment being investigated can’t get into the brain because of the blood-brain barrier, that won’t help the patients. Furthermore, their progression will mess up the trial statistics for everybody. Therefore, people with brain mets are usually excluded. Sad but true.