Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV 19 months and counting on Zelboraf

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    jmmm
    Participant

Yesterday my husband had scans and a brain MRI…he remains NED! He’s been on Zelboraf for 19 months and it’s still working! He had initial mixed results on Zelboraf (some tumors shrunk, new ones grew and some stayed stable), but for over a year, he has been stable and no evidence of disease on the scans. I just wanted to share this…so many people are afraid to take Zelboraf because it seems like a “last chance” drug. That’s what we thought when Mike first started it, but it has been his miracle drug. Not sure how long it will work, but we’re enjoying the ride…tomorrow he’ll celebrate his 40th birthday…a day we never imagined him being alive for when he was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer almost 2 1/2 years ago:).

msue5
    Participant

That’s amazing and good news for those of us who will depend on Zelboraf at some point. I was on it but switched to Yervoy recently. I am interested in how his side effects have been. Any reduction of side effects from being on this for such a long time. Time to celebrate!

Mary Sue

Shirley Z
    Participant

Wonderful news! I hope he continues to do well. It brings others so much hope to hear positive news.

Happy 40th tomorrow! I don’t think I ever looked forward to celebrating birthdays as much as I do now.

Shirley Z

jmmm
    Participant

The side effects for him have never been horrible. The rash is long gone. The biggest things he still deals with is some joint pain (it rarely slows him down and only gets bad after a day when he’s very physically active…hiking, playing ball with our kids, etc), horrible sun sensitivity (we’ve not figured out a solution to this problem except for staying inside) and some hit or miss GI issues (as long as he avoids dairy products, he seems to do better).

crburton28
    Participant

My husband wears SPF clothing, gloves and hats and it allows him to enjoy the outdoors (in addition to sunscreen). Coolibar is a great place for the clothing.

dkmc
    Participant

Great news!!!! I so love to hear it. Happy 40th! You are so right- enjoy every moment of the time given. Karen

NYKaren
    Participant

Wonderful, fantastic news. Thanks so much for sharing it with us!

Happy 40th birhday. Enjoy.

Karen

Dick_K
    Participant

That really is great news, and what a fantastic birthday present. I hope there will be many more. Thanks for posting.

Dick

dallyup4
    Participant

That is fantastic news!!! I’m so happy to hear that, I have been on Zelboraf for 24 mos. now and NED for 9 mos. I am so excited to hear of others with this success. Thx for sharing.

jmmm
    Participant

As of scans this morning (body scans only this time), he is now at 21 months on Zelboraf and NED! A few issues with his kidneys (multiple stones and an elevated creantin level) and slightly elevated liver enzymes, but nothing too bad. He remains on 6 Zelboraf a day.

zephyr66
    Participant

That is TERRIFIC!!! congratulations to you both and happy 40th to him!!! keep up the great progress and hope there are many more good updates coming from you both.

sylvia

Dick_K
    Participant

Great to hear this news. As a point of information, I have had off and on elevated creatin and bilirubin levels. I made a conscious decision to make sure I stay well hydrated. At my check-up last week, both were the best they’ve been in a long time. Anyway, 21 months and NED, wow, keep it up.

Dick

Linda56
    Participant

That’s very good news and happy birthday. This is the kind of news that we are looking for !

I’m on Zelboraf for 11 months now and since my last scan two months ago there was no evidence of disease anymore. Next monday, I have a new scan. Hopefully I’m also on the wonderful road of NED.

Kind regards. Linda

Cabronication
    Participant

So good to hear such positive news when taking Zelboraf can be so challenging. I’m really struggling with joint and muscle pain and only on day 10. Have red under skin painful nodules, awful rash?

Had to reduce myself to 2 & 2 tablets for the past two days. Hearing positive stories like yours, makes me want to try and cope with the side effects a little longer. Well done you…may the NED continue.

tamie
    Participant

It is great to read your report. My husband is only 7 weeks on Zelboraf. Side effects were terrible during the last 4 weeks. Some of you helped me as he was running very high fever for 2 weeks but as many of you said: After overcoming the first 4 weeks of side effects and additional 2 weeks high fever – he is functioning well on 6 pills a day. As we start coming back to routine I am very worried about the future so hearing your experience being on Zelboraf 19, and 21 month is really helpful for me. Happy birthday and many many more! Tammie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.