Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II 39 weeks pregnant and skin is acting up

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    BigRed1984
    Participant

Greetings :D

I have not been on lately, I am enjoying this pregnancy and I haven’t been worrying about my skin much…until now. It seems late pregnancy hormones are taking a toll. I have two new moles on my breast, and another mole has grown brown spots. Also alarming me is a sore on my nose that isn’t healing. It has been there for months but changed recently. It now appears to be an inflamed red strawberry seed sized hole where a pore should to be. Every few days it looks a angry then looks calmer for a few days. Can melanomas present this way? I am hoping if anything it is a Basal cell. I am full term due any day now and my only derm is two hours away at the Stanford melanoma clinic. I will have to wait until after the baby comes to see my doctor. I am not sure what I am asking. I wonder if there are any other moms out there who had significant skin changes toward the end of their pregnancy? Did the post-partum period cause any skin changes? My melanoma developed sometime after I gave birth and was diagnosed when my child was 15 months. So I feel some anxiety that these skin changes could be serious.

Jenni
    Participant

Wow, any day now for you! Time flies :)

I am just hitting 28 weeks and I LOOK like I am 39 weeks but twins are rough on the body!

As for the skin. With my first daughter, as you know, I was diagnosed a few months before I got pregnant. For me, with her, the most change I saw in my skin was the first trimester and the last. The second wasn’t so unstable for me, personally. I had a severely atypical removed and a handful of moderates in the first trimester BUT I don’t know if it was hormone related or just my time so to speak to make a lot of weird moles, because it was close in time to my in situ. However, the last few weeks/months for me, with my daughter, I noticed a bit more change as well. I had one removed from my breast at like 37 weeks that turned out to be a seb keratosis I think. It wasn’t a mole it was ugly though! And once I delivered things settled for me. I only breastfed for 2 weeks so my hormone levels went back to normal fairly early, so that could have been part of it too, I don’t know. Do we ever know :) UGH Melanoma SUCKS!

This pregnancy I have noticed about 3-4 small (dot sized) moles form, from nothing. I had one taken off to see what it was since they all look the same (I am talking like 1mm if that!). It was moderately atypical, which is TYPICAL for me, so I decided to keep the others on and just make sure they don’t get a lot bigger, etc. I saw a derm once and am getting ready to do another good at home skin check with the husband this weekend, since I am too big to see most of my body now :)

Don’t worry though…you are almost done with the pregnancy and can make an appt at Stanford for after. Give yourself some time to relax before the 2nd comes. I know the worry though, I keep finding a new skin tag or notice some sort of darkening of a few moles on the belly and freak a bit too, BUT I think its normal for these little changes in pregnancy.

Hope the delivery goes smoothly for you, keep us posted :)

Cheers,

Jenni

Icegurl470
    Participant

I’m 17 weeks pregnant and was told skin changes (moles, acne, dark spots, dryness/oiliness) are common during pregnancy due to hormones. I was just at the derm a couple months ago and I already have a couple newbie moles since then, it’s depressing. If you had a derm that was close by you could have them checked out. I’m having a mole removed (again) from my nipple next week. I was told the it was perfectly fine to have done while pregnant.

I had actually mentioned a red blotch/bruise on my breast to my derm last time I was there because it wasn’t going away and he said it was probably pregnancy related. I’m having issues with gestational thrombocytopenia, which is a low blood platelet count. It’s encountered in 7-8% of all pregnancies and it’s more common late in pregnancy. It can cause bruising that doesn’t go away and if your platelets are really low, I guess it can cause nose bleeds and skin lesions. It’s something you would have been tested for though.

Hope all goes well with your delivery! I’ve actually heard September is the best month to be born in :)

Worrywart
    Participant

I had significant skin change during my pregnancies. I grew probably 20 new moles during all three pregnancies and most were atypical, but only mildly. They grew rapidly, what seemed like overnight!

I’d probably get them looked at now, bc after baby arrives you won’t have time. I wouldn’t necessarily worry about it though, I’d just want it checked off my list. The nose one sounds like a basal or AK. Good luck with delivery!

BigRed1984
    Participant

I’m comforted by you guys. Thank you so much for sharing your pregnancy skin experiences with me. I wish none of us were in this boat but since we are it’s nice we have each other! I’m feeling calmer, I suppose I had one of those “freak outs.” It’s emotionally draining seeing my skin change and wonder what if this is the beginning of a new… I am trying to let go and just enjoy the last few days of my pregnancy. I will be able to see my doctor in a few weeks.

To all the pregnant mommas, I wish you safe, happy, healthy pregnancies, and good deliveries! Keep us posted :D

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Just wanted to pipe in that the reason I switched melanoma docs was because the first one said I couldn’t breast feed because of hormones and melanoma. The second, at UPENN said there’s no correlation, do breastfeed. So it meant a lot to me and have since done a lot of research that doesn’t bear out a relationship between melanoma and hormonal levels. I think if anything the growth hormones involved may play a part in the new moles, darkening etc.

But hoping all of you have safe and uneventful deliveries. Enjoy them before they become teens!

Jenni
    Participant

BigRed!

Did you have that little baby yet?! :)

I saw my obgyn today (I am 29 weeks on Friday) but I will deliver my boys no later than Nov 8 (36 weeks) bec I have placenta previa. SO, I am HUGE and really feeling the weight now. Twins are NO JOKE! I was freaking about these skin tag like things that are growing in my “private area” but she told me to not worry they are skin tags, not melanoma, and they will go away. I hope so! :) See. I am almost 4 yrs out from my diagnosis and I was all in a panic about my skin these past weeks too! We have our weak moments, we are only human!

I hope you are doing well!

Cheers,

Jenni

BigRed1984
    Participant

Jenni- it’s funny you updated on Wednesday because…..I had my daughter on Wednesday! It was the most incredible experience of my life. I managed an unmedicated VBAC and my doctor let me catch the baby. I’m still on high from it. Best day of my life. Now if I can just get a good skin check I can relax enjoy life for a while!

Jenni
    Participant

First of all, WOW! That is awesome :) VBAC, natural….I commend you!! Congrats on the little girl!!

Secondly, I am psychic (just kidding).

I will be doing another c section….I have placenta previa that won’t move so I have to, no other choice. I am fine with it though, considering I went through the entire labor process with my daughter, just couldn’t get her to come out :) haha.

Yes, get a skin check and then relax and enjoy that baby! Is your first child ok with the new addition? My daughter is starting to act out a bit because she knows the boys are coming soon :) It’s hard. BUT they will love the siblings at some point!

ENJOY this time! It all goes so fast!

Cheers,

Jenni

Worrywart
    Participant

CONGRATS!! Awesome you went natural! WTG! I always wanted to do that but ended up having 3 c-sections.

Icegurl470
    Participant

I’m glad you had such a good experience going natural. I’m not completely apposed to having an epidural, but the hospital that I’m delivering in doesn’t do them! I could have gone to the next town over, but I love my OB here and it’s going to be the dead of winter, so I didn’t want to have to travel anymore than I had to. They can do this thing called an intrathecal, which is similar, but doesn’t last as long. However, because of my bleeding issues that might not be an option for me either. I’ve had a tattoo, kidney stones, ruptured uterine cysts and some pretty painful mole removals, so lets hope I can handle it!

BigRed1984
    Participant

Thanks ladies! It was a really great experience and I am starting to feel pretty normal mentally and physically. Not as much sleep as I would like. My almost 3 year old has adjusted pretty well. She loves on her sister more often then she used to. However she does act out a lot more than before, the new baby has brought out her mean streak.

Tomorrow is my 6 month check and I must say I am freaking out a little bit. Late pregnancy brought on some change in a few of my moles. I am hoping all will be well, and if isn’t nothing looks too crazy so I am sure it would be caught early. I will update when I get back from the check.

BigRed1984
    Participant

Well my skin check went great. No issues. As usual the moles I was nervous about were normal. I have to remember that change isn’t necessarily cancerous. For me it’s normal to have the pigmentation on my moles change a bit. I suppose that makes sense.

Jenni, I have been thinking about you! I am curious if you have your twins yet?

Jenni
    Participant

Hi Big Red!!

Yay for good skin checks. I am actually sad I cannot go back to Dr. Swetter. Here in LA I like the guy that checked me out once (and I am scheduled to see him in about 5 weeks) but I miss her. She was amazing.

I have had more “mole” activity this pregnancy than with my daughter. I have gotten a handful of new moles but nothing grew too big, just the size of a tip of a pen and then stopped. Those are medium/darker brown….but I am watching them :) I have two on my belly that are a big bigger, maybe 2mm-3mm at most, but they are light brown and look alike and look similar to others on my belly (one is on my belly button, so weird, so I hope he gets a chance to see it in Dec, once my belly button goes back in). BUT they are one solid light brown color, similar shape, nothing alarming.

I am 35 weeks and the babies are STILL in me!! They are measuring on ultrasound at 6lbs EACH. I am sorta in this haze and hibernating just begging them to come out :) I am scheduled for a c section on Nov 12, at 2pm :) SO, I have less than 2 weeks to go if I don’t go into labor before then. My back is somehow holding up but I am sore and starting to swell and have headaches and nasty reflux. BUT, it is almost done. My placenta previa cleared up so that is good. I have gained like 55lbs and feel like a whale :) Cannot wait to have my body back!!!

Thanks for asking about me. I come on the site a bit but am usually too lazy/tired to write. Lately my energy level is just awful. :) BUT I am going to try to take our little girl out tonight with my husband to trick or treat a bit.

Cheers,

Jenni

msue5
    Participant

Congratulations to both of you. Jennie you are a trooper. That’s a lot of baby to carry around!

Mary Sue

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.