• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ErikaLyn
    Participant

5 years ago this week I received the news at 7 months pregnant about my diagnosis of melanoma in situ. 5 years and two healthy babies later, I have come so far emotionally, and part of that is because of this amazing forum. I don’t post much, but I am a regular silent visitor sending out good thoughts to everyone impacted by this awful disease. Just had a six month derm follow up yesterday and got the all clear for another 6 months! I just wanted to check in and say to those just starting out on this roller coaster that it gets easier with time. I am still uber freaked out at times, but I am feeling like the diagnosis has given me more information about sun safety, mole changes, etc. that I will pass on to my beautiful daughters. My 4 year old always reminds me to put on her “sumscreem” before a trip to the pool or a playdate outside with friends.

Erika

Meggpt
    Participant

Thanks for sharing your story, Erika. I’m a relative newbie, just over 4 months removed from my diagnosis of in situ, and still pretty much a mess. Reading your message gives me hope that things really do get better with time. Cheers!

goldengirl2011
    Participant

Congrats, Erika! It really does get easier with time. It’s been a little over a year since I was diagnosed with stage 1.

I’ve learned to live in the NOW, and to appreciate all aspects of my life.

Meggpt – you’ll get there too!

Shirley Z
    Participant

Congratulations Erika! Wow 5 yrs. It really does help when you take the time to share your good news. Its a scary time for anyone diagnosed. Even at early stages.

Enjoy your babies. I can’t believe how quickly they grow up.

Shirley Z

Jenni
    Participant

Erika,

Thank you for sharing this news! Shirley is right, THIS is the type of news we need more of on this site, the good news. It helps the newbies feel hope and become inspired.

Congratulations on the 5 year mark and enjoy the babies! I have a 20 month old daughter (got pregnant with her a few months after my diagnosis) and she WAS the light I needed to push forward.

Best,

Jenni

Worrywart
    Participant

Congratulations on 5 years…and thanks for sharing! I’m 4 years out this month, and I agree that it gets much easier!

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

And it was 23 years ago that I was 5 months pregnant and diagnosed with melanoma. Now my 23 year old has graduated from college and is working his first real job! So thanks for sharing and encouraging others that this disease can be caught early! Enjoy every moment..

Onlymej
    Participant

Congratulations!!! I was diagnosed with lentigo maligna in situ about 1 month ago. This post makes me happy and hopeful that this is the onyl time I will have to deal with this!

marti
    Participant

Congratulations on your 5 year-mark, and so good of yout tho share this good news. So funny to read bout your daughter’s “sumscreem”. Yes the lesson is learned. Enjoy this celebration with your family. Good to hear your last skincheck was good as wel.

I had celebrated my 3 years out three months ago, and are presently enjoying a vacation; no nothing can stop me from doing the things I love (scuba diving). I do wear protective clothing during the day – and enjoy my beach walks at sunrise and sunset. At first people would look at me wearing my skinsuit, but everybody is used to it now.

I am very grateful (still) every day, and try to make to most out of it, and its lovely to read there are so many of us – an encouragement specially for those just diagnosed.

marti

ErikaLyn
    Participant

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. I will continue to check the site to hear about everyone else’s victories!

rdmstm
    Participant

Congratulations and thank you for posting your wonderful news! It really does help hearing your & Carherine’s stories. Being diagnosed 1 month ago it’s great to hear things get better. Still dealing with all he emotions but plan to post my story in MANY years to come!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.