Home Forums Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II 5 Yyear old diagnosed with Atyical Spitzoid Neoplasm

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    stadom
    Participant

Hello, I am writing about my 5 year old son who was diagnosed with a spitzoid tumor a few weeks ago. He has not been diagnosed with melanoma but I am hoping it is still ok to post here and ask some questions.

We started treating what our pediatrician thought was a wart on his chin. Then early in December we were sent to a dermatologist because the “wart” was not going away. They diagnosed him with pyogenic granuloma and shaved the granuloma off and sent it for a routine pathology report.

We then received the spitzoid diagnosis from that pathology report. The dermatologist then referred us to a plastic surgeon to have the remainder of the tumor removed. She also stated that these types of tumors are difficult to diagnose and that they were sending the sample to the Sloan Kettering Cancer Hospital for further expert opinion and molecular testing. That appointment is tomorrow but this whole think has my husband and I quite nervous!

I am mostly wondering how long the additional pathology report will take and how will the plastic surgeon know how much tissue to take in order to achieve clear margins?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I apologize if I am posting in the wrong place.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Welcome! You have come to the right place for support. Having the spitzoid evaluated at Sloan Kettering is the best scenario as Boris Bastian, a pathologist there, is the top expert. Spitzoid nevi are prevalent in younger folks and benign. But they are treated with special care since the pathology can sometimes confuse them with melanoma. Your son is in great hands so you can relax, which I am sure is a challenge. I’m very happy to see that this is your path and your son will be treated with great care.

stadom
    Participant

Thank you for the reply, is anyone on here qualified to help with deciphering the pathology report that I received?

Biopsy reveals a a shave biopsy with a verrucous architecture. There is a compound melanocytic neoplasm compound of large spindled and epitheloid melanocytes arranged in nests as single cells at the dermoepidermal junction and in the dermis. The majority of the lesion is with in the dermis. The melanocytes do not appear to mature with dermal descent, and scattered mitotic figures are indentified in the dermal malanocytes. A ki-67 stain reveals an increased proliferative index within the dermal component. Overall, this is a very difficult case and thus the case is being sent to Sloan Kettering Cancer Center for further expert opinion and molecular testing.

That whole paragraph is written in another language!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.