• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    waspkfd
    Participant

Hey GANG!!! just a quick update .. things going well went to 6 mo. check up and they removed 4 new moles deep shave?? My only problem I seem to have is that I still feel exhausted all the :| time, maybe im just getting old lol 😳 .. anyway got a question

They got a new inturn and she told me her husband was dx as stage 4.. 4 years ago and was doing fine, I ask how stage 4 was determined she said they couldn’t find the primary tumor 😯 ???

how do the determine when its not a primary?? sorry I just don’t know anything about that but interested to learn .. But anyway!! Take care and im always thinking of you guys and gals!!!!! :D

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Good to hear from you. Sometimes folks have a risky lesion (mole) that grows and then regresses back into the body. It then spreads to some distant places and becomes stage IV. They don’t remember the mole, and it is an unknown primary then. Glad he’s doing well and of course you!

Are you exhausted from working in the heat? Are you drinking lots of fluids? I would certainly discuss with your doctor. You are too young to be feeling exhausted. Keep in touch and good to hear from you!

waspkfd
    Participant

got a call back today from the DERM says 2 moles were normal and 2 were atypical? so she wants me back in and they are going to cut deeper on the 2 moles to get a better look?? OH BOY!!!!!

what do I need to know about atypical? Thanx again and have an awesome weekend :mrgreen:

cohanja
    Participant

I think it depends on how atypical and the doctor. My doctor doesn’t even bother re-excising with mildly atypical, only if moderately to severely atypical. I don’t think there is a definitive standard of care for how to handle aytpical, so it is what you and your doc decide and are comfortable with, and the degree of atypia. But, atypical is still benign.

waspkfd
    Participant

so if ATYPICAL are benign then why remove them? and why would they want me to come back for a deeper cut? it just doesn’t make sence/////// Thanx again :D

cohanja
    Participant

The vast majority of atypical moles never become cancerous. The general rule of thumb for atypical moles: if it is mildly atypical, you want clear margins. If it is moderately atypical, you want clear to conservative margins (2-3mm). If it is severely atypical, you want 5mm margins – just like melanoma in situ. There are some doctors who will just “watch” mild or even moderately atypical lesions even if they don’t have clear margins, but most prefer at least clean margins. Some cutaneous oncologists don’t leave any atypical cells hanging around for fear the trauma of the biopsy itself could cause them to mutate, they prefer to play it safe.

Worrywart
    Participant

Sorry two were atypical, but don’t let it worry you. They remove them for liability reasons – bc they never know which will eventually turn malignant (which they most likely never would but are at higher risk to).

As for being tired all the time, look up adrenal fatigue.

I hope you are back to feeling like yourself again soon!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.