Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II A question about growth phase?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Hope12
    Participant

I was diagnosed last May with a T1a melanoma on my forehead. .4mm no mitosis no ulceration. The growth phase was not mentioned in my path reports. Is there other words in the path report that would reveal the growth phase being radial or vertical?

Thanks

cohanja
    Participant

On my initial path report for my T1a lesion, it didn’t state growth phase. The pathologist stated, “I personally do not comment on radial vs vertical growth (is subjective and not required).” So, not all comment on that. The subsequent opinions I got did, but didn’t necessarily agree. However, either way, as Catherine would say, the most important prognostic factor is the Breslow, and 0.4 is very thin. Along with no mitosis, no ulceration. . all good things. You can search this forum for many many long detailed discussions on radial vs vertical, what they mean, are they or aren’t they important, etc. . but, bottom line is this was caught early.

Hope12
    Participant

Thanks you so much for the response. As my melanoma was on my forehead, I have heard all kinds of things about it being higher risk because of location(I wondered if it was because they could not take as much form this area) and how the growth phase mattered.I know I need to be cautious who I listen to. My Dermatologist who is very good, said he took as much out of my forehead as he would of any other body part. (which was a lot!) and the wide excision came out completely clear. I am very thankful that it was caught early, as I lost my mother to stage 4 10 years ago. Because of her, I was vigilant of being checked as are my 2 children. There are many survivors of this disease due to early detection and today, God willing, I am planning to be one of them! I have seen the other side, so the fear and anxiety tries to steal me away at times and sometimes wins. I have not posted much on this forum but I have read it all. Someone always asked the question I needed an answer to and another was willing to share . I found peace in the storm many times because of all of you! Thank you for that. I am approaching my 6 month check, always with uncertainty but knowing I am doing all I know how. Thanks to all of you for sharing, educating and encouraging, you are valued more than you know.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.