Home Forums Melanoma: Stage III Achy arm

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Linny
    Participant

About 2.5 weeks ago I had a pretty nasty cold. At its peak, I noticed that the arm where I had my lymphadenectomy was really achy. Wearing a compression sleeve made my arm feel better and so did some extra massage. I kept an eye out for swelling and there wasn’t any to speak of, thank God. When the cold got better, my arm stopped hurting and I’m back to normal.

Has anyone else experienced this? Did this have anything to do with my body fighting off that cold?

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Linny, there could be a relationship between the two, certainly our nodes go up when we have a cold. How are you otherwise, and tell us more about the trial you are in.

Linny
    Participant

Thanks for your quick reply, Catherine.

I’m doing well. Just had my scan this past Tuesday and per Dr. Scharfmann it was “clean and clear”. :mrgreen: I was sure something was going to show up related to the cold I had because I still have a cough but clean and clear was great news to me!

I’m almost finished with the injection part of the trial. I received my second to last shot on Tuesday. The last one for the trial will come in April. After that, I’ll be on “observation only” for the next 3 years. But I guess if the vaccine gets approved before then I’ll go on it, provided I’m still NED.

As far as side effects go, it certainly looks like I’m experiencing them. The main thing I don’t get is a reaction at the injection site. But then I don’t get one when I get a flu shot, either, and that’s common for it too. The main thing I feel is extreme fatigue but it’s doable. I usually fall asleep just before getting home and then pass out on the couch for several hours after arriving home. Then I get up and head to bed and have no problems falling back to sleep….LOL. I’m in a bit of a fog for the next 24 hours but after that I’m fine. I’ve also experienced nausea, sweats, and light-headedness. The nausea was the worst so I always bring a motion sickness band with me to visits in case I need to wear it for the ride home.

I had a discussion with Scharfmann’s trial nurse this past visit about how wonderful it would be if all we had to do to keep melanoma from recurring is to get a shot every 3 months. If this vaccine gets approved, it would be a godsend for those of us with Stage III melanoma. But the last I heard was that folks in both arms of the trial were doing well.

Here’s something else of interest I learned at this past visit: when you get a CT scan with contrast, the contrast causes your blood pressure to rise. When they took my first set of vitals, it was 156/88. I guess the stress of waiting for the scan results added to that as well. When they took my second set of vitals at the end of my visit, my BP was 130/58.

Shirley Z
    Participant

Hi Linny,

Happy to hear your scans went well.

I have never really noticed swelling during an illness. Weather changes and being on my feet too long seem to be my triggers. Travel is another issue for me.

Fortunately, I rarely get sick.

Good to hear that your arm is better.

Take care,

Shirley Z

Linny
    Participant

Thanks Shirley. Actually, this is the first time I’d been sick with a cold or flu in about 7-8 years. :D I thought that you, of anyone here, might have a clue as to whether something like a cold or flu can cause a limb to ache. So this is still a bit of a puzzle. :geek:

But for all you out there, keep this in the back of your mind in case you do happen to come down with a cold.

I’ve noticed that my arm ached a bit once when we took a drive to the mountains here. Next time we took a drive there, I wore my sleeve and my arm was fine. Live and learn, I guess! We live in central Pennsylvania so there’s nothing here that’s much over 2000 vertical feet.

Shirley Z
    Participant

Hi Linny,

The last time we went to see my daughter in TN I had a lot of problems. I was wondering if it had anything to do with the high elevation.

Everyone seems to be getting sick this year. So far I have managed to avoid it but my mom who is 80 has been having a horrible time throwing it off. Scary how widespread it has been.

Have a good weekend,

Shirley Z

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Linny,

I hope the trial is successful for you and many others. It appears to be a great option. There does seem to be a lot of terrible viruses going around this year. I’ve (knock wood) also avoided them so far! I know the daycares are down with some terrible stuff!

Take care and stay healthy.

Linny
    Participant

Shirley Z wrote:

Hi Linny,

The last time we went to see my daughter in TN I had a lot of problems. I was wondering if it had anything to do with the high elevation.

Everyone seems to be getting sick this year. So far I have managed to avoid it but my mom who is 80 has been having a horrible time throwing it off. Scary how widespread it has been.

Have a good weekend,

Shirley Z

Hi Shirley,

I bet your problems were related to the elevation. Next time you go see your daughter make sure you take some extra precautions.

Linny
    Participant

Catherine Poole wrote:

Linny,

I hope the trial is successful for you and many others. It appears to be a great option. There does seem to be a lot of terrible viruses going around this year. I’ve (knock wood) also avoided them so far! I know the daycares are down with some terrible stuff!

Take care and stay healthy.

I hope so too, Catherine. If that vaccine gets approved it’ll be HUGE!

There definitely are all sorts of colds, flus, viruses, etc., going on. I’ve finally gotten strength and energy back but this cough will be staying around for a while. I spoke with two friends who had the same symptoms and were sick in December and both still have the dry, wheezy cough that came with this bug. 🙄

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Stage III’ is closed to new topics and replies.