Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV Advice on american health system

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    lak1
    Participant

Having watched Veronica Chaing s Webinair I was considering asking for her opinion on my scans. I will be self paying so insurance does not matter.

I dont understand how one selects whichoffice you see the doctor in . Will one be cheaper/different to the other .

Her 2 offices are Yale University or Yale New Haven Hospital.

Will one be more suited to self pay? Whats the difference and how do you pick?

If anyone else can recomend a neurosurgeon I would be greatful especially if they are prepared to give opinion based on scan first.

Many thanks

as always

Carpe diem

Lesley

PatW
    Participant

Yes, now that you mention it, this is a confusing system. I guess we Americans are just used to it.

Most doctors see new patients in their private offices, not in a hospital. Dr. Chiang’s office is the one at 800 Howard Ave, New Haven, CT 06519 Appointment phone:(203) 785-2808. This will be a one-on-one consult with the doctor.

On the other hand, many hospitals have “speciality clinics” like a melanoma clinic. If you make an appointment at a specialty clinic, you will often be seen by one doctor (like Dr. Chiang) who will then ask you to see other doctors on the team, such as a radiologist and/or an oncologist and/or a dermatologist. You are inducted into a team approach where several doctors meet to share their data and discuss your case. This is more thorough, but also more expensive (anything in a hospital is automatically more expensive than anything in a private doctor’s office).

I hope this helps you.

rochelle
    Participant

Lesley,

perhaps Jonathan will see this post and be able to guide you as he has the 411 on Yale..

I worked at Yale years ago and can tell you as far as the logistics of the the doctor’s practice..(billing etc) location of appt does not matter…so whether you see a doctor at the hospital or the physician’s office…billing is the same.

Hope this helps,

Martha

Francoise
    Participant

I believe the difference is that one is for the Yale University employees, and the other one is for regular patients. Françoise

PatW
    Participant

Well, Leslie, as I said– the American health care system IS confusing. Even the Americans disagree about how it works! 😆 Anyway, just call the doctor’s office– either office– and they will get you to the right place.

Jonathan
    Participant

Leslie,

I just thought (after sending you an email about how to get to Yale Cancer Center) that you probably want to try to get the second opinion “remotely” from the UK – her email and phone are available on her website – just google her. She will want your doctor’s referral with the records at a minimum. Since your scans are no more than a month old, my guess is she’ll do it without a big charge, unless you (and she) want a finer set of image slices – even then, I’d imagine you can get that done locally.

Best,

Jonathan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.