Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II After melanoma: still no sun protection habit?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Catherine Poole
    Keymaster
    cohanja
    Participant

This can be deceiving, because I don’t wear sunscreen either but that’s because I’m literally covered from head to toe. .even if it’s 100 degrees I have long sleeves, long pants, hat, etc. . .

Also, wouldn’t the risk of another primary still be from the damage that was previously done in our younger days? . . the horse is already out of the barn in terms of the damage done at this point. . I would think as we get older we’re more prone to basal cell, squamous cell, etc….. from sun damage we receive as adults

cohanja
    Participant

of the story, this was the most baffling to me

Additionally, 2% reported using tanning beds in the past year

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

This population is certainly different from most of you here! You are far too intelligent to risk getting another melanoma..

HoolieB
    Participant

Perhaps some of those folks believe “it was just a skin cancer”? It was surprising how many people commented to me, “Oh, you just had melanoma; that’s only in your skin, not deadly like breast or lung cancer.” Even with the constant flow of information today, there’s a fair amount of ignorance about melanoma and skin cancers in general.

Lisa P
    Participant

Good grief! This is akin to someone diagnosed with lung cancer or emphasima lighting up their next camel without a filter. 🙄

BigRed1984
    Participant

I can understand the UV addiction aspect. I find myself having a difficult time not bearing it all under the sun on a beautiful day. I love the high I get from the sun. But I also love being alive cancer free, so I stay under a tree and slather on my spf!

jensean
    Participant

I cannot for the life of me understand how someone who has had melanoma would not protect themselves from the sun. It is a dishonor to us fellow melanoma warriors. I used to love the sun before my diagnosis. I used to go to the tanning beds and would lay in the sun all summer long. When I was diagnosed, it all stopped. There is no such thing as an “addiction” to sun. Basically, I think of it as an addiction to having a tan. Everyone thinks having a tan “looks better” than embracing your own natural skin color. When I see pictures of myself all tanned, it makes me sick to my stomach. I have no desire at all to lay out in the sun. I use very high SPF, wear the appropriate clothing and hat, and I feel fine with it. I do not miss having a tan. I have had tons of people tell me how much better I look without a dark tan. People need to love the skin they are in. Having a tan is not worth it!!!!! I have numerous scars to remind me of what loving the sun has done to me. You do not need to be afraid of the sun but you need to respect the sun!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.