Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Another biopsy…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Lisa P
    Participant

I went in for my monthly skin exam yesterday where I had scheduled the removal of a small cyst from my scalp as it caught my attention more than once, so I figured it might as well come out. The good news is my doc said that, upon removal, the cyst looked like a boring old benign nothing. That was good. In doing my regular skin exam, however, she noticed a mole or mark on the left side of my midriff that was a pinkish brownish color — as if it was somewhat irritated. I told her I hadn’t scratched it at all — in fact, I hadn’t noticed it. Besides being a bit pink, it had an asymetrical fried egg border with one half being a bit darker shade than the other. Anyway, after comparing it against my grid photos, she decided she wanted to biopsy it. Needless to say, I’m back in that anxious place once more, waiting for the results. I have heard about melanomas that residents in med school refer to as the “pink panther: because it shows up as a pinkish color versus dark brown or black. I should know something by next Monday or Tuesday at the latest. In the meantime, I’m trying to remain focused and positive although sleep was evasive last night. Yegads….

Jenni
    Participant

Good morning Lisa,

I am sorry to hear that you are in that limbo state of waiting for results, I HATE that! However, I am willing to bet that as much as you have your skin examined that this will be nothing to worry about….or even if it is, it would be SO early it wouldn’t threaten your life. Take a deep breath! :)

I have been on a bit here and there lately but haven’t posted much. We are STILL trying for baby #2. We started trying in Feb of this year so I am now getting the beginning of fertility testing done……apparently even after you have a baby you can sometimes become infertile, fun. SO I have been at the doctors a lot….bloodwork, ultrasounds, pap, etc etc. SO I guess other health issues have been able to distract me from my skin! Which is sorta good, maybe :) I think I will actually be able to make it the 6 months in between exams without running in for something in advance of my appt. However, I am also 3 years old from my melanoma diagnosis, this Dec 7, so I have to start getting more comfortable with just twice a year skin checks, I guess :)

Anyways, enough about me, I hope that you get good results soon and that you can give yourself a bit of a break from melanoma too, somehow. Sending my best and positive thoughts your way!

Cheers,

Jenni

Laurie
    Participant

Lisa,

Good news on the head cyst, and sorry to hear about the biopsy. The waiting is the pits; not quite the word I wanted to use but lets keep things G rated. As Jenni said, hopefully it will be nothing or if it is something, it is very early. I will be sending good thoughts your way. Please let us know how you make out.

Note to Jenni: a friend of mine waited before trying for baby #2 and she too had to do the whole fertility thing (as did her husband). Good news is, it worked (it was a little bit of both of them). Will also keep my fingers crossed for a clean derm appointment as well!

Laurie

Jenni
    Participant

Thanks Laurie for the info :) It is good to know it is fairly common. It is annoying, to say the least to get your hopes up each month and then get your period, ugh :) ANYWAYS, we are still enjoying our 2 yr old daughter very much!

Jenni

Lisa P
    Participant

Hi Jenni and Laurie – posting a duplicate of what I placed on the “newly diagnosed site” to close the loop for now. Hope you’re both doing well and hoping for good baby news soon! L.

Heard from my doc and it scared the hell out of me as we have an agreement that she calls if it’s melanoma and her assistant calls if it’s good news. In this case, she called to check up after my “surgery” (the cyst removal on my scalp). To be honest, I didn’t think of that as surgery as the WLE’s I’ve had for moderately dysplastic moles have been far more invasive than that. At any rate, I so appreciate her concern and was able to ask a few questions about the pink spot she biopsied that I was too freaked out to inquire about at the time. She said it’s possible it is an irritated mole that has some patches around it due to ecxzema / dry skin condition. She assured me it’s not the “pink panther” type of melanoma as that presents as a new spot and doesn’t have any brown pigmentation involved. This is a mole that has changed somewhat in color, although there’s still brown pigmentation involved. At any rate, I should have the results back on Friday or Monday at the latest. Holding on to the positive and sending best wishes to all f you, Lisa

Laurie
    Participant

Lisa,

It was very thoughtful of your derm to call you (even if it did scare you). It’s nice to hear she cares. Sorry you still have to wait for the biopsy results – that is always the worst. But hopefully it will be the assistant/nurse calling you to tell you its benign. Hang in there! Sending you good thoughts! Let us know. Laurie

Lisa P
    Participant

Just got the call from my doc’s office. It’s NOT melanoma (thank God). Just another damn mild to moderately abnormal mole with spindly something-or-others. I’ve asked for a copy of the pathology report. This time the pathologist recommended a 2mm WLE versus my normal 3-4 mm. I suppose that’s a good thing. At any rate, I’m incredibly relieved and grateful. I’ll have the procedure done at the same time they take out the stitches from the cyst I had removed which, by the way, came back as completely benign. Oh happy days! :-) Lisa

Webbie73
    Participant

Wonderful news. A pain about the WLE though.

Lisa P
    Participant

Thanks, Webbie! Actually, it’s a complete relief. I have gotten so used to the WLEs that they’re not even a big deal anymore. As long as I don’t get another Melanoma diagnosis, I’ll take whatever else they throw my way! :-)

Laurie
    Participant

Lisa, Great news on the results of the biopsy!! What great news to enter the holiday season with; although WLEs are not fun – I agree with you – Its NOT melanoma. Congrats! Laurie

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.