Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Another ‘issue’!! Red raised bump

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Worrywart
    Participant

About a month or so ago I noticed a bump on back of my leg. Thought it was a zit or clogged hair follicle or something. It kept itching. I shaved it off once. Then I put a bandaid on it for a week or so. Last week I noticed its still there. It’s a raised red bump with concave like center on back of my leg. I picked at it thinking maybe there was a hair – no hair. It’s still there. It has been a long time now and it won’t go away. Is this something I should have checked out? I haven’t had any skin issues or even worrisome moles in so long. Now in past month I’ve had the headache issue and now this skin bump issue!

Worrywart
    Participant

I just looked at some images of basal cell and it looks a lot like a basal cell. Of course, I always worry about desmoplastic melanoma and/or some other freak skin cancer like merkel!

Hopefully it’s, at worst, a basal. Made appt for Friday.

marti
    Participant

Hope everything will be fine, and not even a basal. Had also a bump somewhat simular, thought a basal or amelanotic melanoma ( fear is always around…) but was diagnosed as a dermatofibroma…

Please keep us updated

Marti

Worrywart
    Participant

Thanks Marti. I went to derm and he removed, he was unsure what it was but said it was ‘deep’. I didn’t want to hear that! I do have a dermatofibroma on my other leg, this looked nothing like that, but maybe they look different when they first develop? It was really red/purple and about 1cm so bigger and different color than my dermatofibroma which is a purple brown color and has classic presentation. It’s holiday weekend so have to wait. Hopefully just another false alarm.

marti
    Participant

The waiting is a nailbiting experience, still hoping for some benign leasion, but understand your fear so well…. Good that your derm took it off, whatever it was, you will know soon.

Another false alarm, thats what we aiming for.

Marti

bon15
    Participant

Continue to be very wary with any diagnosis of dermatofibroma. I also had a small red mark (not even raised) on my leg which was diagnosed as such in January 2011. As these are totally benign and never change into cancer, although can continue to grow and change in colour, I did not really keep an eye on it. 12 months later and only 5mm across I thought it didn’t look quite right and it was then diagnosed as melanoma with a Breslow depth of 0.72mm.

If I was ever diagnosed with dermatofibroma in the future, I would have it removed.

Worrywart
    Participant

The dermatofibroma I do have has been there for many years (probably 20 or more) and has never changed. I got it after a bee sting. Did your Derm use a dermoscope? For my latest lesion, they excised it so I’ll have pathology back this week. I agree anything that changes should be removed!

marti
    Participant

Thanks Bon15, I just made an appointment for tomorrow and will insist on having this little bump removed( Its only on my leg since July – came out of the blue)

Worrywart – hopefully we will read soon about your (benign laesion)

Marti

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.