Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV answers for Catherine, RE: now stage iv

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    cheris
    Participant

Catherine, I am BRAF pos., but my oncologist wants to save that treatment. I am also NED, so he wants to start Ipi soon. I’m nervous about Ipi because I still have some diarrhea from the small intestine surgery, plus I’ve had stomach issues these past few years. I do feel great right now. I live in Pittsburgh and go to UPMC Hillman. Thank you for your help.

Cheris

dkmc
    Participant

NED is wonderful. Remember to enjoy this time. Don (my husband) had very, very little side effects from Ipi (even after ipi following bowel resection,his second round which he was happy to receive ) Total responder after lung mets…had 13 months NED before came back in bowel…

so hang on and best of luck. Karen

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Cheris,

The researchers I’ve talked to often suggest the Braf therapy first, then immunotherapy such as IPI or PD1. To get into the Expanded Program for PD1, you will have to have progressed on both IPI and BRAF. I would ask about the BRAF/Mek combo by GSK as first line as the research at ASCO showed it very promising with low tumor burden and promising long term progression free survival. This should be a discussion between the two of you, and also trials could be available. We know that IPI provides a 15 percent response rate. The Braf/Mek was much higher. Please check out the latest news about therapies in Bettina’s Blog from ASCO and you might suggest your doctor check it out too. Please read the section on the BRAF/MEK: http://mpneatasco.blogspot.com/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.