Home Forums Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II Anyone experience a local recurrance with In situ?n

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Onlymej
    Participant

Hi. About 6 months age I found out I had a small lentino maligna, in situ on my arm, and it was excised with a wle soon after. No melanoma cells were found in the excised specimen. My dermatologist was very optimistic and said the lesion was very early and he would see me every 6 months. Went to him end of October, everything was fine. This Sunday I looked at my scar, it’s hard to see because its back near my elbow. There was a very small dark dot in the scar! I am terrified. What is the actual chance this is a reoccurance, and what does it mean? My sister looked at the spot today with a magnifying glass and said it looks like scab, like I just scratched myself. It’s really small so it’s hard to tell. I am going to derm tomorrow am. Help.

UPDATE: just got back from the dermatologist. Worrywort, you were 100% right! It was a stich trying to push its way back up! He took out the stitches and said that is just a scab, don’t pick at it it will go away on its own. He told me not to get so upset if I see pigment in the scar, the moles and freckles can come back, but come see him, otherwise, just see me in 6 months. I feel soooo much better!! Thank you for listening. Just when I think I have a handle on this, I really don’t.

cohanja
    Participant

The scar will go through a lot of changes, color changes, etc….so don’t let that freak you out. I always would think every color change in the scar was some sort of recurrence. It wasn’t, it was just the scar changing a lot. Doctor said recurrence would not be that fast, first of all. I actually had a biopsy done on an area of the scar that was colored darker, but turned out to be ruptured hair follicle.

Onlymej
    Participant

Okay thank you. This is small, like a pin point, but almost raised a little bit. I am scared.

cohanja
    Participant

at least you’ll be at the Dr tomorrow morning to get it checked out

waiting is always the hardest part of anything with all of this

Worrywart
    Participant

The scar will change a lot during the first year. maybe a stitch is coming to the surface? or it could just be a freckle that is benign re-growing. odds are it is nothing. I’ve had my scar biopsied 3 times since my dx and it was always nothing. i also had a lentigo maligna melanoma in situ on my arm – mine was almost 5 yrs ago. I had the surgeon take slightly larger margins than required because This particular type does have a higher local recurrence rate. Regardless – of all types this one is a low risk type to have.

Onlymej
    Participant

Okay thank you Worrywort, it kind of dies look there are blue stitches coming up from right near this spot and also on the other end? I just want him to tell me it’s nothing to worry about…..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.