• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    YankeesGirl
    Participant

Hello Friends,

Appointment with new dermatologist tomorrow for a skin exam. Always a bit anxious before an exam but for the most part staying positive!! Busy time of year so plenty of other distractions to help keep my mind off of melanoma even though the thought of it is always there! Hope you are all well !!

– (2) in-situ and (1) “early” Stage 1B since January 2012

cohanja
    Participant

Good luck. I just had my 3-month appt today, 4 more biopsies. I’m sure they will mostly be just mildly atypical/dysplastic nevi as usual, which is good – but I’m getting tired of getting chunks taken out of me so many times. None of them were necessarily changing, but one had uneven borders, one had that “fried egg” look but always has, one was a little darker than others around it, etc. . . . soon I won’t have anything left to biopsy.

YankeesGirl
    Participant

Thanks cohanja!

Webbie73
    Participant

Yankeesgirl, good luck tomorrow. Let us know how you do and if you like the new doctor.

YankeesGirl
    Participant

Hi Webbie,

Met with Dr. Kirk today (Derm. Professionals in East Greenwich). Really liked her! Thorough and took plenty of time to examine me and answer my questions. She did not see anything suspicious, so no biopsies were necessary. Feels kind of weird not to have any biopsies. Don’t get me wrong…I am thrilled to go into Thanksgiving without the stress of waiting for results. Just feels strange to me..almost as if I feel uncomfortable about not having anything removed. I wonder if anyone else feels like this. Perhaps I filled my melanoma quota this year with the two in-situs and 1b?

Webbie73
    Participant

I am so glad you liked her. If Dr. Moskowitz was not available again I would not haste to see Dr, Kirk again.

Wonderful news about the “no biopsy” follow up appointment.

I go back Dec. 6 for an excisionel biopsy on my ear. Both Dr. Moskowitz and Dr.Kirk thought I should have it biopsied.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

YankeesGirl
    Participant

Thanks Webbie! Happy Thanksgiving to you too!!!

Best of luck with the ear biopsy.

Sending positive thoughts your way!!

cohanja
    Participant

Is that something they can do with cosmetic sensitivity? I ask b/c I have a spot on the top of my ear that I keep an eye on.

Lisa P
    Participant

Great news, Yankee Girl! I kind of know how you feel walking out of the derm’s office biopsy-free. As I wrote in another thread, my doc recently decided to stop biopsying any spot/mole that isn’t either a) new when compared to my grid photos from two years ago or b) clearly changing/evolving. She’s totally convinced that if biopsied, darn near every spot on my body will come back as abnormal and then require a WLE. Cohanja, I’ve had a very simliar experience to you. In addition to a long scar on my left arm and one on my butt (the original melanoma site) my back looks like it was attacked by a terribly angry bear. For the time being, I have to sit tight and have faith that my doctor’s making the right decision on my behalf, although it makes me a bit nervous (i.e., what if we miss something)? I have my three month check coming up at Cancer Care Alliance and wlll run it by my doctor there to get his opinion. In the meantime, it’s a biopsy free Thanksgiving. May it be a health one for all!! Lisa

YankeesGirl
    Participant

Lisa,

Good luck with your next visit. Please keep us posted.

In the meantime, have a Happy “Biopsy-Free” Thanksgiving!!

Laurie
    Participant

YankeesGirl, Great news on the “no biopsies” visit!!! It is always comforting to know that I am not the only one who suffers from “pre-appointment” anxiety! I have my three month visit (3rd in-situ in August 2012) just after Thanksgiving and of course, I am starting to get anxious. Thanks for sharing!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

barb3246
    Participant

Laurie wrote:

YankeesGirl, Great news on the “no biopsies” visit!!! It is always comforting to know that I am not the only one who suffers from “pre-appointment” anxiety! I have my three month visit (3rd in-situ in August 2012) just after Thanksgiving and of course, I am starting to get anxious. Thanks for sharing!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Laurie,

You are DEFINITELY not alone on the pre-appointment anxiety!! I just got a call from my derm’s office scheduling my next 3-month appt. the week before Christmas, and I can already feel myself getting tense. I’ve had 2 in-situs and 2 severely atypicals in the last year, and my derm always biopsies 3 or 4 things at every visit, so I’m dreading waiting for results over the Christmas/New Year’s holidays. :(

Barb

YankeesGirl
    Participant

Laurie & Barb,

The pre-anxiety of appointments and the post-anxiety of biopsies can be pretty stressful. I am trying to get to a place where I don’t worry about the things that I cannot control…I am not quite there yet. All we can do is be mindful of our condition and combat it as thoroughly as possible by keeping up with our dermatological skin checks and self exams. We are doing everything we can to beat this and keep it at bay.

My sincerest wishes for a Happy Thanksgiving and most importantly good health and peace of mind.

Yankeesgirl

Age 40

2 in-situ and 1 “early” stage 1b since January 2012

Worrywart
    Participant

Great News! Keep that immune system strong with Vit D supplements and lots of healthy food choices and hopefully you’ll keep melanoma away from many years to come! :D

YankeesGirl
    Participant

Thanks Worrywart!

I take 1,000IU of Vitamin D3 per day per doctor’s instructions due to my very low levels of Vitamin D. I hope you and yours have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Be well !!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.