Home Forums Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II Article about Sunscreen Use Ban at Schools

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

http://abcnews.go.com/US/school-sunscreen-ban-angers-parent/story?id=16638754

I frankly would like schools to schedule these field days for first thing in the morning and put hats on the kid’s heads. Seems like this child should have had a hat on at least.

Webbie73
    Participant

All the mother had to do was to get a doctor’s note saying her children need sunscreen when out in the sun. Then provide the school with the sunscreen. Hats can be brought in and worn anytime with out a doctor’s note. Yes, it is an extra step that school require but if this mom was so concerned she would not find it a chore.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

The mother even mentioned her daughter was hypersensitive to the skin, so a hat should have been on her head. Sunscreen is really secondary to the other prevention ideas. It is such a shame to see sunburned kids and adults! But I read that 80% of our children get sunburned each summer.

casey188
    Participant

Wow! 80%. I have to say it is a lot of work getting my kids through the summer without a burn, but half of the battle is the fact that most of their friends are not made to wear sunscreen unless it is really hot out. I think my 14 year old easily freckled son is finally getting on board though!

7spider
    Participant

Hats, sunglasses, long sleeves and all outdoor activites in the morning, especially in the heat of summer. Maybe a good common sense class for the kids to teach em about the dangers of the sun and how important it is to be careful, along w/ the dangers of smoking and poor nutrition etc.

Worrywart
    Participant

What parent misses field day??? I have 3 kids and I’m always ON the field and applying sunscreen whenever I feel they need it. So are all the other GOOD moms. No one said a thing to me? I think it’s negligence/laziness on this mother’s part esp since her daughter has a form of albinism!

casey188
    Participant

I agree Worrywort. The mom was making the rounds on the news and gossip shows last night. I was so annoyed as a parent AND a teacher that she would blame it on the schools, knowing her child has issues with her skin already, and making zero effort to protect her. If the staff had the order on hand for the sunscreen and didn’t put it on that would be a reason to be mad at the school. On the other hand, if I was a teacher and saw a kid getting red, I would pull the kid off the field and call the parent to come and provide the child with hat and sunblock. Education on sun safety is definitely in order.

Worrywart
    Participant

Agree! I am glad teachers don’t apply sunscreen to my kids, honestly. I’m picky about the brand/type! This mom should have had her child dressed in sun-safe clothing – that’s the bottom line IMO.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.