Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Aspirin Prevents Melanoma?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I would like to know who funded this, but at least it won’t harm anyone but could do something to your stomach lining! http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2013/03/11/aspirin-cuts-melanoma-risk-study-finds/

msue5
    Participant

Hi Catherine

I saw this on the news and told my kids that they will start taking an aspirin a day.It is an order from the mother!

cohanja
    Participant

I’ve been taking aspirin for many years, I still got melanoma. Did they control other factors in the study, like skin type, history of sunburn, family history, etc… ? In other words if the people not taking aspirin also had fair skin and history of sunburns, and the people taking aspirin had no family history of melanoma and dark skin, etc. . then the aspirin itself may not be the thing having the impact, etc…

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I’m skeptical because this also came out about advil and melanoma. I would love to see who provided funding for the study and the actual study itself. Cohanja, see if you can find it!

cohanja
    Participant

http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/1112801173/aspirin-lower-risk-melanoma-post-menopausal-women-031213/

The Women’s Health Initiative study was funded in part by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH).

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Thanks, Cohanja, that is a good study! But I think it is important to note this paragraph and it warrants further study: While significant, the study does not conclude that aspirin causes the drop in cancer risk for everyone – it only shows that twice-weekly use of the drug was linked to a decreased risk among Caucasian women in their 50s, 60s and 70s. Also, since the data comes from a study that relied on self-reported use of aspirin, and did not control for some factors, such as family history and hair color, more research would likely be needed to confirm the findings.

Anonymous

Yeah, there was another “study’ that came out recently concerning the anti-inflamatory found in red grapes as being anti-aging with cancer tumor regression potential as well.

Common link seems to be the anti-inflamatory properties.

Trouble is aspirin makes my tinitus worse. 🙄

Jeff

cohanja
    Participant

the group that took aspirin might also be less likely to drive blue cars or watch Dancing With The Stars or have iPads or get cavities, etc. . but that doesn’t mean it’s due to the aspirin

chas66
    Participant

Been taking advil every day since a 2009 diagnosis of a mild inflamatory arthritis. Got Melanoma in 2012, so, I’m thinking the advil didn’t help me too much.

HeatFire
    Participant

well cant the melanoma have been there already 2009?

my melanoma did nothing the first 2years.. only bled the last 3..

here in sweden Aspirin is a label. owned by Bayer AG they must be happy when ppl say Aspirin might help against cancer.

kylez
    Participant

I wish I had a dime for every news article that comes out that says something “may” prevent or reduce the risk of melanoma, which I read as “interesting idea but they don’t really know yet.” Maybe there’s just too many academic papers being sucked into the maw of the general media, because there’s such a huge demand for news content of any kind now.

For a while we were all going to be on statins. Before that, beta blockers. Before that, who knows. It reminds me of when margarine was supposed to be more healthy than butter. Anyway, I don’t plan on adding aspirin to my diet anytime soon :?

chas66
    Participant

Nah, it was nodular melanoma, they grow fast, up to 1 mm every 2 months, if I had it since 2009, my understanding is the breslow would have been alot deeper than 4.5

HeatFire wrote:

well cant the melanoma have been there already 2009?

my melanoma did nothing the first 2years.. only bled the last 3..

here in sweden Aspirin is a label. owned by Bayer AG they must be happy when ppl say Aspirin might help against cancer.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Actually aspirin daily is supposed to cut the incidence of colon cancer and heart disease. But my stomach can’t take it, even the tiny dose they say is needed. But as for melanoma prevention, I find that illogical and want to see more evidence.

jensean
    Participant

I don’t thing there is anything really that can “prevent” melanoma. Maybe there is some validity to it but I am not sure. I do know there is a clinical trial going on where they are giving patients with dysplastic nevi, history of stage 0, I, or II melanoma a dose of lovastatin every day for six months to see if there is any regression in the dysplastic nevi. It is not considered a preventive drug but there have been studies where dysplastic nevi have regressed with the use of lovastatin. The study is still active but is not recruiting any more patients at this time. I am curious as to the results when they come out.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.