Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II At what point to worry?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    cohanja
    Participant

Historically, I don’t usually experience headaches (unless I don’t have coffee in the morning, that’s about it). For the past couple weeks, I’ve had sort of a dull off & on headache. Normally this would not worry me, but with a history of melanoma I’m a bit alarmed. I know with a thin/early lesion, it probably isn’t the mel; but, then again, risk of spread is highest in first 2 years (I’m 1 year out)? So, at what point should I worry & get an MRI?

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Well, as I think I explained to Worrywart, if it were brain mets from melanoma you would first have significant tumors elsewhere in your body before it goes to the brain. Your headache could be from a number of things, i.e. allergies, congestion, stress from worrying, etc. Highly unlikely anything to do with your melanoma since it was very low risk.

cohanja
    Participant

Thanks. I did not realize that it doesn’t go to the brain before first having gone elsewhere in the body. I’ve never had allergies, but stress from worrying is a possibility – although if that were the case I’d have had a permanent headache for the last year, whereas this only came about the past couple weeks.

wpatterson4
    Participant

Where IS it likely to go first, presuming it by-passes local lymph nodes? I have a mild swelling under my jaw. I’ve (intentionally) lost weight lately because my pants were beginning to get a little too tight. I figured it was better to spend less on food than more on clothes, so I decided to drop a few pounds. The fat on the face was what went first. That’s when I noticed that area on the left bulging out a little more than the same area on the right.

Any thoughts?

Sorry to hijack your thread, Cohan.

wpatterson4
    Participant

Cohan,

I got melanoma at the end of 2010. Earlier that year, I experienced excruciating pain in the back of my neck. It was so bad that I had a CT and an MRI done. The problem came on suddenly and lasted a few weeks. After that, it slowly went away. Weird how these things come up swiftly and hit hard, even those problems that end up being nothing.

Worrywart
    Participant

I did not even think melanoma with my headache issue until the Dr mentioned it, I was worried about a blood vessel problem. My headaches were severe (called thunderclap headache) and happened only during exertion. That is why they were considered more serious and I had to have an MRI before I could start on medication to prevent them, it is standard I guess to rule out brain tumor or aneurysm with this type of headache.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.