Home Forums Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II Attention for those diagnosed in-situ

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Onlymej
    Participant

I was asking the other day about what this lentigno maligna in situ diagnosis MEANS to me, I had read a study saying it increasing risks of many cancers, including pancreatic.

Then I found this SEER study and wanted to share you all. It made made feel much better about all of this.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3228223/

Last paragraph:

In particular, we conclude that CMIS is a condition more and more frequently diagnosed with no significant impact on life expectancy: accordingly, its relevance is mainly linked to the clinical [22, 62] and pathologic [21, 63, 64] difficulty in making a differential diagnosis with invasive melanoma. Although their enrollment in screening programs for the early detection of skin melanoma is warranted because of the risk of developing invasive melanoma, patients diagnosed with CMIS should be reassured on the benign nature of their condition that is associated with a normal life expectancy. Finally, the fact that CMIS increasing incidence does not nullify the positive trend regarding the prognosis of invasive melanoma and the fact that an in situ tumor is associated with a lower risk of some invasive cancers deserves further attention and investigation.

Worrywart
    Participant

Yes. And some say that if left alone it would have NEVER become invasive in a lifetime. Look at it as a warning sign to watch your skin for new or changing growths. Thx for sharing.

cohanja
    Participant

It’s really strange that people with CMIS have a lower risk of some other cancers. . I hope early invasive thin melanomas don’t have a significant impact on life expectancy either. . I know it’s not 100% 5 year, but it’s high 90s I think (< 0.5mm)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.