Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV back from ASCO: my report for you

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

ASCO 2013: Here’s what I learned:

So the big news at ASCO was happily Melanoma! It is certainly our turn to make up for the 40 years of scant progress in therapies. And the patients are the pioneers making the discoveries happen! Starting with the approval of the mek/braf drugs from Glaxo came the information that if you have progressed on zelboraf, then you may only have “modest” results with these drugs. These drugs have been approved individually, but docs may circumvent that and prescribe both. The application is in to the FDA for the combination however. So this new option will be most beneficial to those who are braf drug naïve (not had any prior braf therapy.) Don’t get me wrong, this is a promising addition to our arsenal.

Immunotherapy news was exciting. The BMS Pd1/Yervoy mix shows early favorable results with 50% response rates reported. I would wait until the Phase III trial reports in for total glee. The Merck Pd1 reported a 38% response rate and it should be interesting to follow any competing combinations that are pursued by Merck.

Genentech has a lot going on with the PDL1 and following closely in development. The PD-1 drugs shut down the receptor on the T-cell. The PD-L-1 drugs shut down the receptor on the tumor. But as reported on our forum, we are intrigued with the antibody-drug-conjugates or ADC pipeline Genentech is heavily invested in. These drugs are older, but new to having one for melanoma and have a fascinating delivery system. No need to be BRAF positive!

jamesa
    Participant

Catherine,

Thank you once again for doing such a great job reporting the latest and greatest for melanoma drugs.

Did you get any feedback or input from doctors, pharmaceutical execs, etc when anti-pd1 drugs would “realistically” get FDA approval since the ASCO reports/abstracts show very promising results.

Has MIF’s Scientific Advisory Board indicated any idea when anti-pd1 FDA appproval?

It seems that thus far response results of these anti-pd1 drugs are safe & clearly could help lots of people. It seems like FDA approval is many years away. Some of the Merck & BMS trials are showing final data collection date well into 2015 and 2016.

Ps Thank you too Erin

James

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

James, no one will say yet. They are moving pretty fast but that’s slow for us! Will keep asking though, competition is driving them though!!

zephyr66
    Participant

Catherine,

What is the average response time for PD1 until disease again progresses? Good news about the BRAF & MEK being prescribed separately.

Sylvia

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I haven’t seen that reported and I think it is pretty individual. Some respond, others don’t and it is usually known by the third infusion. Those who respond seem to have longer term response than the BRAF drugs, but again that is variable.

zephyr66
    Participant

Catherine,

I think I asked the wrong question. I meant to ask what is the average length of time it continues to work? for example, with BRAF/MEK it’s 11 months average before disease starts spreading again. Is this data available for PD1?

Sylvia

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

The data is still being compiled. But it is supposed to be longer term than the Braf, yet I know both patients on each therapy that have done well over 1 year.

Anonymous

My understanding by reading the stuff published at ASCO is that the average cannot yet be accurately established as they need to accrue more patients and, importantly, more time. This tells me the average time to disease progression is still sliding to the right.

Let’s hope it keeps sliding for a looooooooong time, like forever would be nice.

Jeff

zephyr66
    Participant

Nice. Yep, I agree…. hope they have to keep WAITING for the data on how long it lasts. Appreciate the feedback.

Sylvia

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.